Complete newbie w/ a Canon FTb (circa 1973)

katherine83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Canon FTb and am starting to discover how complex the world of photography is! I've just loaded my first roll of film and plan on playing around with the camera to see what the developed roll looks like.

I don't have too high of expectations right now as I've just been told that the foam (is this the technical term?) inside the camera has pretty much disintegrated and that the film may not turn out at all. Oh well, like I said, I will use up this one roll and see what happens.

One question though... has anyone "re-foamed" an old camera? Is it worth the money spent to do this? Thoughts?

Katherine

P.S. I feel very fortunate that Vancouver has some lovely sunny weather this weekend so I can go out and experiment with my new toy. :)

There are a number of places in cameras of that vintage where foam is used. The foam tends to breakdown with age. The most critical is the foam used to seal the back. Some top of the line pro cameras (Nikon F, F2, F3 & Canon F-1 series) use this foam only as a dust seal, using metal tongue and groove arrangements for a light seal. Most, like your FT-b, use it for both dust and light seals. The hinge end is the biggest problem.

The other visible place where foam is often used is the bumper that the front tip of the mirror contacts when it lifts. This won't generally affect pictures, but it can leave marks on the mirror and in extreme cases cause the mirror to stick in the up position.

Refoaming the camera back is generally a very easy task. For most people it can be a DIY chore. Care needs to be taken to avoid allowing any of the old foam to fall into the camera.

FT-b's, when in good condition, are excellent MF cameras. Hope you enjoy yours. BTW, there are two versions. The first is the "Canon FT-b QL" which has a large chrome DOF preview lever with a leather insert. The second version is the "Canon FT-bn" which was still a "QL" (Quick Load) model but Canon no longer made as much noise about it. The "n" model has a more compact DOF preview lever and a switch cover over the PC sync socket that turns the hot shoe off when a PC cord is inserted.

Flashes of the day had a 300+ volt trigger circuit. When you connect a PC cord to the original FT-b, and most cameras of the day, the 300+ volts is present on the hot shoe. Brushing a finger or, worse, your nose across the hot shoe could be a shocking experience. This is why many manufacturers started shipping cameras with hot shoe covers. Slowly, most developed some form of switch; most of which were small switches in the shoe itself to turn on the shoe when a flash was mounted, often paired with a PC terminal cover in case an old high voltage hot shoe flash was used.

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Canon FTb and am starting to discover how complex the world of photography is! I've just loaded my first roll of film and plan on playing around with the camera to see what the developed roll looks like.

I don't have too high of expectations right now as I've just been told that the foam (is this the technical term?) inside the camera has pretty much disintegrated and that the film may not turn out at all. Oh well, like I said, I will use up this one roll and see what happens.

One question though... has anyone "re-foamed" an old camera? Is it worth the money spent to do this? Thoughts?

If you do a google search, there are many reputable repairmen that can totally rebuild your camera. Problem is, are the parts available. Canon A1's and AE-1's are a dime a dozen on ebay, in mint condition. You might want to consider one, because there are a lot of new old stock parts available for them. If you PM me, I can give you the name of a reputable dealer in Cincy. You send them a camera, and if they can fix it they will, and if not, you're just out the postage/shipping. Anyway, good luck and have fun. I think you'll find it addicting...Oh..and BTW some camera's do cost more to repair than they are worth...just a warning. A reputable dealer will let you know this and get your o.k. for the work before they perform any....just something to keep in mind.

J.:mrgreen:

Katherine

P.S. I feel very fortunate that Vancouver has some lovely sunny weather this weekend so I can go out and experiment with my new toy. :)[/QUOTE]

There are a number of places in cameras of that vintage where foam is used. The foam tends to breakdown with age. The most critical is the foam used to seal the back. Some top of the line pro cameras (Nikon F, F2, F3 & Canon F-1 series) use this foam only as a dust seal, using metal tongue and groove arrangements for a light seal. Most, like your FT-b, use it for both dust and light seals. The hinge end is the biggest problem.

The other visible place where foam is often used is the bumper that the front tip of the mirror contacts when it lifts. This won't generally affect pictures, but it can leave marks on the mirror and in extreme cases cause the mirror to stick in the up position.

Refoaming the camera back is generally a very easy task. For most people it can be a DIY chore. Care needs to be taken to avoid allowing any of the old foam to fall into the camera.

Thanks Dwig! You've made me feel a bit better about the situation... I thought there'd be no hope for my "dinosaur" as one employee at a local camera store called it. :)

If you do a google search, there are many reputable repairmen that can totally rebuild your camera. Problem is, are the parts available. Canon A1's and AE-1's are a dime a dozen on ebay, in mint condition. You might want to consider one, because there are a lot of new old stock parts available for them. If you PM me, I can give you the name of a reputable dealer in Cincy. You send them a camera, and if they can fix it they will, and if not, you're just out the postage/shipping. Anyway, good luck and have fun. I think you'll find it addicting...Oh..and BTW some camera's do cost more to repair than they are worth...just a warning. A reputable dealer will let you know this and get your o.k. for the work before they perform any....just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the advice... first I think I'll exhaust my options in Vancouver as far as camera repair goes and if nothing pans out I'll PM you for details on the Cincy (Cincinnati?) guy. :D

I'm already through half my roll! I'm so excited to see how the pics turn out...

Thanks Dwig! You've made me feel a bit better about the situation... I thought there'd be no hope for my "dinosaur" as one employee at a local camera store called it. :)

Thanks for the advice... first I think I'll exhaust my options in Vancouver as far as camera repair goes and if nothing pans out I'll PM you for details on the Cincy (Cincinnati?) guy. :D

I'm already through half my roll! I'm so excited to see how the pics turn out...
Yep, Cincinnati. Didn't notice that you were from Vancouver...Never been there, but there should at least be a couple of good reputable repairmen, in a city that size. Wouldn't hurt to let one look at it. Maybe just do general maintenance, lube, etc...might save you some heartache later.
Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Well, Jbylake, I've never been to Cincinnati but if you ever get a chance to visit Vancouver I'm sure you'll find lots of beautiful things here to photograph. :)

Hi everyone,

Katherine

P.S. I feel very fortunate that Vancouver has some lovely sunny weather this weekend so I can go out and experiment with my new toy. :)

OMG!!! Don't even mention an A1. I LOVE THE A1. Even though I've pretty much grown up in the digital era, I love the A1. My dad owns like a 3000 dollar, if not more, set for his A1. I used to run around everywhere with that damn thing. God I miss those days.

I once re"Foamed" a Canon AE-1 with black felt from walmart because at the time I needed the camera opperational and could not afford to wait for the replacement foam....it worked so well I forgot it was thare untill I replaced the camera two days ago.

There is nothing to worry about here either, the only places the foam can go to is into the film housing and mirror box. the film compartment can be blown out with compressed air, the mirror box can be a bit of a pain but stil no real threat to the inner workings of the body.

FT-b's, when in good condition, are excellent MF cameras. Hope you enjoy yours. BTW, there are two versions. The first is the "Canon FT-b QL" which has a large chrome DOF preview lever with a leather insert. The second version is the "Canon FT-bn" which was still a "QL" (Quick Load) model but Canon no longer made as much noise about it. The "n" model has a more compact DOF preview lever and a switch cover over the PC sync socket that turns the hot shoe off when a PC cord is inserted.

The FTb's are 35mm not medium format.

I once re"Foamed" a Canon AE-1 with black felt from walmart because at the time I needed the camera opperational and could not afford to wait for the replacement foam....it worked so well I forgot it was thare untill I replaced the camera two days ago.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I might try that out as the foam at the hinge of the back cover is essentially gone. But would this work for the more "internal" parts of the camera (i.e. the area where the lens attaches to the body... not sure of the technical term)?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I might try that out as the foam at the hinge of the back cover is essentially gone. But would this work for the more "internal" parts of the camera (i.e. the area where the lens attaches to the body... not sure of the technical term)?

There should not be any foam on the male end of the mount, there is a small bit just inside the mirror box to pad the mirror and reduce mirror smack as well as prevent the mirror from....hyper extending (For lack of a better phrase)....I hate to admit it but my EF has been with out that for years :pale:

I personally do not think it would work for the mirror pad, I would not try it as the mirror pad is almost a eigth inch thick and the felt is maybe a third to a quarter that.

You are too awesome for starting with film! I can't wait to see your pics! Be sure to share them!!!

There should not be any foam on the male end of the mount, there is a small bit just inside the mirror box to pad the mirror and reduce mirror smack as well as prevent the mirror from....hyper extending (For lack of a better phrase)....I hate to admit it but my EF has been with out that for years :pale:

I personally do not think it would work for the mirror pad, I would not try it as the mirror pad is almost a eigth inch thick and the felt is maybe a third to a quarter that.

Yeah, last thing I'd want to do is start messing around with the internal bits before I know what I'm doing! ;)

You are too awesome for starting with film! I can't wait to see your pics! Be sure to share them!!!

Lol, thanks! You won't have to wait long... I'm taking in my first roll of film today to be developed. Fingers crossed that at least *some* of them turned out. :D

Gah, what a week. It's the second week of classes and I feel like I might be getting the flu.
Anywho, I brought my photos into work this morning to use the scanner but alas, the scans look like crap and they're pdf files so I can't upload them to my photobucket account. I think I'll need to find someone with a photo scanner...
On a positive note, today is Friday. :p

It can easily get deep into the camera via the gap where the shutter curtains travel. If it does it can cause great havoc. Also, compressed air is NOT recommend as, one, it will often blow the crumbs into rather than out of the camera, and two, a blast of compressed air directed to the shutter curtains can cause damage. The latter is less of a risk with cloth curtains in good condition than it is with metal blades, but damage can be done. Use a brush or a wadded piece of lens tissue to sweep out any crumbs.

FT-b's, when in good condition, are excellent MF cameras. ...

The FTb's are 35mm not medium format.

I "mis spoke" in that my abbreviation was unclear. By "MF" I meant "manual focus" rather than "medium format".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back