Completely accidental - C&C anyway!

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4602587709_869dc3ba9c_b.jpg

This was taken in May 2010 at my dad's house the day after I got my D5000. I'm sure this was on an auto setting or a preset but the settings are 1/3999 sec, f/5.6, 200 mm, ISO Speed 3200.

No PP done yet; feel free to edit/repost as you see fit. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
What is the subject? Is that a gator/croc? I can't make it out... Too bad the exposure wasn't better...

It is an alligator that was lazing in the sunshine on the little shoreline. I was just happily clicking away with my new camera and didn't really even see him until the very moment that I took this picture.

I really wish that I could have hit the motherload with the exposure. This could be something that I'd want hanging in my house. :er:

I couldnt quite tell what it was. I saw the splash, but I couldnt tell what was making it. A falling log? The wing of a large bird? It wasnt until after I saw other post that I realized it was a gator.

How is it possible to get 1/3999 sec? Can automatic setting do random shutter speed? I have never seen that before.

You should have lowered your ISO and shutter speed. No need for iso 3200 if you are capable of 1/4000 of a second. Read up on exposure. Also the subject is too small. A longer lens would have been a better choice IMO or a teleconverter.

A closer shot would've been better

I saw the Gator right away...pssh.
anyway, I agree...would have been an awesome shot had you had the time to realize it was there!
I hate when that happens! still tho...magnificent reptile, I'm always happy to be in their presence ;)

Easy to spot in the picture, but I can well understand missing it in the flesh till it threw up that water. I agree with the others though that your ISO was rather too high considering the conditions - the problem there is that with higher ISOs not only do you get more noise, but the dynamic range of the sensor gets compressed - your under and over exposure limits are reduced (Even in RAW) and in a shot like this where you have strong light and strong shadows its a nightmare.

As you learn about controlling the settings keep the ISO factor in mind and try to shift into something like aperture priority to start taking some control over the wild beast that is the camera.
IF you've got the original shot you might be able to get some more detail out of the darker areas by brightening them up - not sure what you will or won't get so give it a try and see.

You'll have many more opportunities I'm sure. We have tons of gators here in Florida. I missed a photo opp (only my iphone) when a 10-12 footer was lounging on the bike path. I didn't want to stop (for obvious reasons) and just tried to click as I rode by:

One of the coolest places down here for gator photos is Shark Valley, in the Everglades between Miami and Naples. It is a 15-mile bike path into the Everglades and back. The gators come out of the water to sun themselves during this time of year, with literally hundreds of them on or near the bike path. Here is an area to park your bikes. These were only 5-6 footers, but they were only about 10 feet away.

Now that we have an SLR, we are going back in three weeks. I am hoping for spectacular pics (much better than the stupid iphone).

Most reactions

Back