Completely lost

soufiej

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just don't understand the reason this category of camera exists other than providing a manufacturer with 47 models in their line up vs the more typical 38.

Anyone care to 'splain it to me?

They have their uses. My buddy shot some good photos at the last MMA fight using one. They take great quality pictures. But like lots of other things, its just an option. Preferences.

I just don't understand the reason this category of camera exists other than providing a manufacturer with 47 models in their line up vs the more typical 38.

For the same reason why flat screen TVs came instead of the old bulky boxes. It is just a more modern, more promising technology.

Removing the vibration causing, exposure delaying, complex-moving-parts mirror assembly allows a shorter sensor flange distance which then permits the design of far superior wide angle lenses. No matter what SLR you own you can't get a lens as good as the 14mm f/2.8 on my Fuji, and lenses take photos.

Joe

I wont carry round a bulky dslr unless it is sports.

Who cares what people use.

STOP thinking so much about gear and START thinking more about the images you make.

STOP thinking so much about gear and START thinking more about the images you make.

Wait, I'm supposed to be taking pictures with this thing? Huh.. wow. Wish someone would have mentioned that earlier. Lol

Having only used the Sony NEX series, I would consider them to be "Smart" cameras compared to a DSLR in addition to having APS-C sensors in a small(er) body. The NEX cameras have apps like Time Lapse that you can purchase and install that are really useful and even have wifi. While connected to WiFi I could post directly to Facebook from the camera. Not that I did it a lot, mostly because it was clunky, but the concept is cool. Future of Cameras IMO.

No offense intended - really - but in the short time I've been on this forum I've seen this answer several times. Sort of like on the guitar forums when you get the constant response, "It's only the playin' that matters." Or the umbrella forums and the "it's only the rain that matters" answer. Hey! sometimes it's the sleet! And the frogs!!!

Of course it's only the use of an item that matters in the end but telling people to "stop thinking" is, I think, one of the dumbest answers anyone can give to another human being. I wouldn't get on an automotive forum and respond to an answer about a strange smell coming from under the dash with, "Stop thinking about smells so much and start thinking about the driving you're doing." I wouldn't go on a forum about food and recipes and tell someone to "Stop thinking about the fire on your arm and start thinking more about the taste of the sauce." There's actually quite a few places and situations where I would not tell someone to stop thinking. I don't know, is there a tight rope walking forum? Doesn't matter, who the hell wants to talk about rosin?

Again, I've only been here for less than a full week. But the "stop thinking" answer seems to have worn old already. If you don't want to respond to the op, why bother posting anything? If your only response is, "It's only the end result that matters", why bother at all? Don't you have a cat to comb? A sensor to clean? A booger to pick?

"Stop thinking" is just the dumbest answer I can imagine. To any question.

Now, I hope this doesn't turn into a thread where people start trashing the idea of asking about gear vs thinking about taking photos. That wasn't my intent either. I get the stop thinking answer. So, OK, I stopped thinking about gear. Happy?

Sh*t! Now I'm thinking about gear again!

Thanks a whole f'ing lot!

"Stop thinking" is just the dumbest answer I can imagine. To any question.

I didn't say to stop thinking period. I said to stop thinking so much about the gear. And then I said START thinking more about the photo.

People go through phases as they learn about a new field or hobby. At first it seems it's about the gear, then technique, then (in the case of photography) post-processing. At some point, there's increased awareness of light, which sets off its own round (gear, technique, application). Consideration of composition, purpose, meaning and emotion develop over time as the tools get mastered, knowledge is acquired, and the realization of how much one doesn't know starts to sink in. Having the horizons expanded is a good thing. One discovers that there are many interconnected paths one can follow. And each path has its own challenges. So depending on the path taken, the walking aids which are appropriate change. On some paths, mirror-less cameras make the most sense. On others, it may be P&S, and for others it may be DSLR's. Film is less of a path, and more of a whole different region.

I've been doing photography for more than 45 years. And almost every day I pick up the camera, or I look at an image, I find something new to learn.

As for gear obsession, it's kinda natural. The rock climbers obsess about their ropes and carabiners. The kayakers obsess about their boats, paddles and anciliarry equipment. The bikers obsess about their gears and handle bars and seat stems. Wood workers obsess about their tools and glues and varnishes. But at some point, the gear and technique need to recede into the background and the reasons for doing something should come to the fore.

Welcome to the journey. It's a fascinating ride.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back