Completely new to photography. Which camera?

Saraaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I hope I'm posting in the right section!. As the title states I'm brand new to this. I have no idea what anything means but I'm very interested in starting to learn. I have a six month old son so I imagine he will be my main subject most of the time. I've narrowed it down to the nikon d3100 and the d5100. I want the camera to last as long as possible. Would I benefit from the guide mode on the d3100?. Would the d5100 be useless to me without knowledge of what I'm doing?. I your input will be great!. I thanks in advance.

You give conflicting information.

If you want a camera that lasts "as long as possible", getting a used professional camera would be a better option. They have less Megapixels and less fancy stuff, but better controls and better build.

If you just want a camera to learn photography, there is not much differences between the D3100 and the D5100. Both have the same auto modes. The D5100 has a bit more modern sensor etc, and a swirvel screen, and more gimmicks nobody needs (better video etc). But to the best of my knowledge, their build shouldnt differ too much.

Can I just add that by as long as possible I mean as my photography needs and skills progress.

d5100 should not be more difficult to use than d3100, with some extra margin that maybe you will appreciate later.

It doesn't actually matter much. Guide Mode strikes me as a gimmick, not an actual learning tool.

The technical details of exposure are essentially trivial, and any camera that allows any modes more "manual" than fully automatic will be fine for learning that. Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and some way to set Exposure Compensation are all you need, and most of what many serious people use. Any camera over a certain level will handle those. Find a camera that you like the feel of, something you'll carry around. Many find that a DSLR tends to stay at home, if you think that might be a problem for you go for something smaller and more portable. If you're taking a once in a lifetime vacation and you want the Best Quality Photos as you learn, sure, grab a DSLR and a fast prime, and tape the on-camera flash down so you never ever use it.

Anything that costs more than a couple hundred bucks will probably take pretty decent photographs, so it's about feel, about loving your camera, and taking it with you.

When you get to the point where you want to take THAT kind of picture, then you can do some research and find out that THIS camera system is the thing you want. Then get that. Since you're not looking for any specific kind of photography, you don't need or even want any system that's particularly good at one thing, and less good at other things. You want something generic and portable and good enough to take good pictures, and manual enough to learn a little something about the technical details.

Take pictures with your cell phone. It won't teach you the technical stuff, but that stuff is trivial and not very interesting anyways. It's as good as any camera at teaching you to see and compose.

I know that doesn't help much, but finding a camera truly is more of a process, and less of a "buy this one, it's the always the right answer"

Saraaw; get either one, based upon your budget. Also see if you can get an extended warranty or some kind of insurance policy on it. My D5000 came as a kit with two zoom lenses, a cheap tripod, and a small carrying bag. IMO, these cameras (entry level DSLR) have high enough technology that you will still be learning for several years without learning everything about them. Meanwhile, you can begin to get some very good pictures of your son while he is growing fast.

i think you should also consider whether or not you have plans to go full frame.

Personally, there a few things that would rule out both the 3100 and 5100 for me. First, the lack of an internal focus motor (no autofocus with AF lenses). If you think you might get even a little serious about photography, this might be a problem for you. There are a lot of nice AF lenses out there that can be had for much less than the AF-S counter part.

Example:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens 2199 B&H Photo Video

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens 2137 B&H Photo

The single control wheel can soon become a nuisance if you plane to shoot in manual mode very often.

The lack of a top mounted LCD means having to bring up the screen every time to make a settings change.

In the price range of those two, I would consider picking up a used D90. It would be more of a camera you could "grow into". The 3100 and 5100 are entry level DSLRs.

Another option is to up the budget and get a D7000.

Personally, there a few things that would rule out both the 3100 and 5100 for me. First, the lack of an internal focus motor (no autofocus with AF lenses). If you think you might get even a little serious about photography, this might be a problem for you. There are a lot of nice AF lenses out there that can be had for much less than the AF-S counter part.

Example:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens 2199 B&H Photo Video

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens 2137 B&H Photo

The single control wheel can soon become a nuisance if you plane to shoot in manual mode very often.

The lack of a top mounted LCD means having to bring up the screen every time to make a settings change.

In the price range of those two, I would consider picking up a used D90. It would be more of a camera you could "grow into". The 3100 and 5100 are entry level DSLRs.

Another option is to up the budget and get a D7000.

Yep +1 what eric mentions. And my exact point as started with an entry camera. Within 9 months was frustrated with the less features and capabilities of the entry cameras. Lack of in body motor gives me less lens choices. No onboard flash commander mode for operating flashes off shoe. Less dedicated buttons for changing the settings without my eye leaving the viewfinder.

I would recommend a D7000 if budget permits. If not a D90 will take you years to grow into. Bigger Brighter Viewfinder makes composing a lot easier in lower light situations. Dedicated buttons to change settings without eye leaving viewfinder to go menu digging and missing the shot. Dual command wheels means I can adjust aperture and shutter speed on the fly. Built in motor means AF or AF-D lenses will now focus like the 50mm f1.8 AF-D. And many used classics out there gives you many more lens choices.

As mentioned top lcd comes in handy for night and tripod work. Can get a true integrated grip for vertical shooting compared to IR versions for entry cameras.

Also consider smaller and more compact doesn't necessarily mean comfort and ease in operating. Also found the entry cameras a tad uncomfortable and more difficult to operate with my hands. Smaller less bright viewfinder more a chore in composing the shot. And more than once missing shots due to need to go menu digging at the critical time to change a setting.

I'll take a shot at this one...a USED TOP-mid-level camera like a Nikon D300s or a very high-end enthusiast/hobbyist body like the Nikon D90 would both be good in terms of all-around Nikon system compatibility, and should offer you years' worth of good service and good picture quality. A brand-new Nikon D7000 is a high-end enthusiast/hobbyist body, but costs more money than a D90. Unlike consumer electronics companies that make photocopiers and TV sets and video cameras, NIKON is first and foremost a camera-maker and an imaging company. SO their bodies have a somewhat different design ethos: that being, an effort to make the BEST-possible camera at each price point, and to have those models run for a somewhat longer time period than the electronics companies that simply regurgitate the old model with a new coat of slobber on it and call it "NEW!".

I would say, buy MORE camera than you think you need, and resolve to learn that body and shoot it for at LEAST three solid years, and only update until you start running into regular and frequent and un-solvable genuine "problems" in getting the pictures you actually want to get. Spend more time and mental effort on learning than on worrying. SPend more money on lenses and far less on the body. Buy used. Look for GOOD DEALS. Shoot smarter, not harder, and not "more".

So by now you have heard all these responses and you are probably more confused than when you first asked the question. It is very simple, you want to learn DSLR photography, get the camera that can help you learn. In this case either one will be PERFECTLY fine. With entry level cameras the concepts you learn will still apply to professional level cameras. I myself am still considered a noob when it comes to photography, but one thing I know about forums for sure is they can be helpful as much as they can leave you more confused. This is likely not your fault. Many responses are facts, some are opinions but the bottom line is that becoming a professional does not happen over night. Being that you are new to photography an entry level DSLR may last you a few years, and if not you can always sell it and put the proceeds towards a more advanced camera. I currently have a T4i which is considered entry level. Before that I had the t2i. I could have made the move to a full frame camera such as the 5D II but after a year of learning photography I still feel that the entry level class fits ALL of my needs. As you learn more about photography you will learn the limitations of your camera. I am pretty sure that any of your discoveries will not send you into a depression. One of the things that always keeps me content is to look at the pixel-peeper database a photos taken by all different cameras and lenses. Here you will see that you can take exceptional photos whether your camera is considered professional or entry level. In my humble opinion, the last thing you want to do is fork out a ton of money for something that you may or may not lose interest in as well as you may or may not utilize all the features. I suggest learning in stages, beginning with an entry level camera. My wife has a D3100 and absolutely loves it. One thing I will say is do not be sold on the guide mode, in order to understand the elements of exposure and composition you will need read or watch videos, the guide merely explains the purpose of each setting on the camera but does not go into detail. I hope that this response was helpful. Good Luck.

I'll ask the silly question. Why is it that, while I'm sure the advice is well intended, when people ask about a entry level camera the responces often lean toward mid-advanced bodies? For example, the OP asked specifically about the 3100 and 5100. People take the chance to start recommending the D90, D7000, and D300s. These are far more complicated cameras. I understand the concept of buying more than you need and leave room to grow, but if you've never handled a DSLR before, the myriad of features on these could leave you completely overwhelmed. It would also cause someone to leave the camera in the bag and become so discouraged, they abandon their quest to start to learn something about photography. If you're hard core about learning, yeah, get the better gear up front. But if you're on the fence, there is no point in spending thousands. In that case, the 3100,5100, T3, and T4i fit the bill perfectly. For buying the more pro level bodies, I'd wonder if its better to sit tight for a few more weeks. There are a lot of Nikon rumors swirling around about announcing new bodies for Photokina. This could help drive the current price of some of the DX sensors down to a more affordable level. Personally, I'm having a pipe dream of a $899 D7000!:lol:

"when people ask about a entry level camera the responces often lean toward mid-advanced bodies? For example, the OP asked specifically about the 3100 and 5100. People take the chance to start recommending the D90, D7000, and D300s."

Simple I started with an entry body and within 9months was frustrated with lack of features and I covered the why's above. And wished I listened to people that were recommending more advance camera to grow into. I could have used that time to grow instead of learning a new camera. And the D90 has Auto Program modes as well as scene modes for the novice. And the cash could during that time allow me to acquire glass and flash,etc.. instead of acquiring yet another body to re-learn all over again.

"but if you've never handled a DSLR before, the myriad of features on these could leave you completely overwhelmed. It would also cause someone to leave the camera in the bag and become so discouraged, they abandon their quest to start to learn something about photography."

Same could be say about being frustrated with a camera that doesn't have the features you need and the limitations get in the way or adds to the frustration trying to get the shot as happened to me. As to the extra buttons and such put the camera on scene mode or Auto and ignore them till you are ready for them.

" If you're hard core about learning, yeah, get the better gear up front. But if you're on the fence, there is no point in spending thousands."

Well I assume most are serious if they are researching and joining photography forums and asking questions. Otherwise they would just buy whatever the salesman was pushing that month. And what the majority that just want to P&S Snaps of family and events do.

It just the very notion they are novices is they may not understand their choices beyond cheapest price. Then have to pay more down the line in another body. And understand going entry may be sufficient for their needs for next few years. And again it may not.

When making a choice I would prefer someone give me all the info up front of the whys and pitfalls of why my choices may be lacking without forethought about the future. I might still choose to go the cheaper entry level. But at least the blinders where off when I made the choice.

We can just go along and stick to the OP's question and answer it straight forward. And may cause less confusion in making a choice in the short term. But down the line it may be the wrong choice for his needs and intentions. I know I made the wrong choice for me when I had all the options presented.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back