Completely new to this; Upcoming trip, need advice

Png1lady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am completely new to photography and very excited to start learning all I can. I have a whale watch trip coming up and I need advice. My game plan now is to take some shots in Auto mode, so as to at least get the once in a lifetime memory, and then spend time enjoying the trip. We will have enough time, that I would like to try some shots that go beyond Auto setting. Any advice? As I said, I am completely new to this.

Without trying to be rude, read the manual. Don't get me wrong, but it is still the best resource for any newbie. And there is nothing wrong in shooting in auto mode fo beginners. There is a reason camera makers include that feature. Then learn about the exposure triangle so that you can control your shots. Below is a link regarding the exposure triangle.

The Exposure Triangle ? In Beginner Speak ?The End of Auto Mode? « Fletch?s Photo Blog

Happy trip! :)

Not rude at all. I've heard that from a number of sources. And that's just what I've been doing, and will continue to do. I will follow your link, thanks.

I have to disagree. The manual is barely going to help you. Yes, it will roughly explain the buttons and the modes. But that's it. I started off just like you and I skipped the whole manual part. Your best bet is the internet. Google and read, read, read and read some more. Combine all this with trial and error (ok not during your whale shots, you don't want to miss the critical shot) and you'll be on your way. You will make mistakes in the beginning, but so has everyone. Try and find a specific niche you're interested in and excel in that. Happy shooting! :)

My advice, use Auto on this trip and learn more advanced methods for next time.

Thanks for your advice. I came away from the trip with some wonderful memories, some great "snapshots", a few good pictures and a couple I am really, pleased with. Can't be unhappy with that at this level of being so new to something.

Thanks for your advice. I came away from the trip with some wonderful memories, some great "snapshots", a few good pictures and a couple I am really, pleased with. Can't be unhappy with that at this level of being so new to something.

Let's see some!

I have to disagree. The manual is barely going to help you. Yes, it will roughly explain the buttons and the modes. But that's it. I started off just like you and I skipped the whole manual part. Your best bet is the internet. Google and read, read, read and read some more. Combine all this with trial and error (ok not during your whale shots, you don't want to miss the critical shot) and you'll be on your way. You will make mistakes in the beginning, but so has everyone. Try and find a specific niche you're interested in and excel in that. Happy shooting! :)

Yeah, I'd skip on the whole instruction manual too. I mean, who needs to know about buttons and features? Reading that stuff on the Internet is SO MUCH better!

Yeah, I'd skip on the whole instruction manual too. I mean, who needs to know about buttons and features? Reading that stuff on the Internet is SO MUCH better!

i beg to differ. The manual is quite a useful resource especially for newbs. While there are many experienced users like you and others may find no need for manuals, others may find it useful. I have seen first hand people who can't even find the power source of point and shoots. The manual is there for a reason. Though I must say that some manual are better than others and that is the reason there are dedicated books for specific models (some even come bundled with DSLR) and definitely web resources. That said use what's best for you and I have no argument with that but the manual is still there for a reason unless it's a one pager.;)

Since whale watching is a daytime outdoor activity with LOTS of light, the camera would probably do a great job in auto mode. You could also use shutter speed priority (on your Nikon D3100 that's the "S" on the PASM dial) and dial in a shutter speed of at least 1/250th to 1/500th. On a bright sunny day, that would still let the camera use ISO 100 and f/8.

i beg to differ. The manual is quite a useful resource especially for newbs. While there are many experienced users like you and others may find no need for manuals, others may find it useful. I have seen first hand people who can't even find the power source of point and shoots. The manual is there for a reason. Though I must say that some manual are better than others and that is the reason there are dedicated books for specific models (some even come bundled with DSLR) and definitely web resources. That said use what's best for you and I have no argument with that but the manual is still there for a reason unless it's a one pager.;)

I'm fairly sure Tyler was being sarcastic.

One trick will be focus. I've photographed whales. You don't know when they'll surface, and when they do you typically have a split second to frame and focus. For this reason, you can't use manual focus unless you're really good at it. I would use single-shot focus, where the camera focuses once and then holds that focus until you press the shutter button again. This will ensure the camera gets accurate focus initially and then is locked onto that point.

If you use continuous focus, the camera will continue to focus as the whale moves and it can easily get lost searching for a focus point. Continuous focus is meant to track a moving subject, but the whale surfaces so briefly and blends in so much with the water the camera is likely to lose focus at some point and go to the horizon or some other point.

The closer the whale is, the more water will be in the frame and thus the darker the frame will be. The darker the subject, the more the camera will overexpose it. If you have a pocket camera or something without interchangeable lenses, it will be a challenge because those cameras are slow to focus. In that case, auto everything is probably acceptable. The main thing is you want to watch your shutter speed. It should be at 1/250 or higher to freeze the motion of the whale and boat. On a bright day this will be no problem even at low ISO. If this is too much for you, again auto is OK, but before you get to the whales, experiment with ISO and find out which one enables you to get a shutter speed of 1/250 or faster.

The manual helped me some, but learned a lot more from a book written for my camera. They are affordable and explains more features than my manual. Plus, went into further details. Safe trip:)

Rent a longer lens. I don't care what lens you have.

- do a web search for online lens rentals
- rent the longest lens you can bear to pay the price for
- ... including any sort of extra insurance (damage waiver etc) the site offers

Make sure the lens will definitely work on your camera.

Uh, this assumes you have an interchangeable lens camera.

Thank you everyone for your input. I learn something from everything I read here. My trip was awesome, and while I didn't have the experience or confidence to do anything advanced with the whales, I did have some free time during the stopovers on the way down and back, and I had a great time experimenting with desert scenes, sunsets and sightseeing. Here's a couple of my favorites. $misc 205-1.jpg$misc 274-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back