Complicated flash setups for studio?

photogincollege

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering about flash setups in the studio. Is having a lot of remote flashes nessecary or can normal studio lights be used and just reflected? Because im leaning towards getting a canon but i know nikons tend to have better flash capability and i was wondering if this would hinder me in studio work?

First off, what do you mean by "studio lights"? Most studio lights are flashes. (strobes)

Any company has the same capability to use studio strobes. They connect via a PC port on the camera. If the camera doesn't have one, a simple hotshoe adapter is available for $10.

As far as lots of lights being necessary, no, they aren't. You can make beautiful portraits with 1 light of any kind, and a reflector. That one light can be the sun, or sunlight from a window, or a tungsten light, or a strobe.

First off, what do you mean by "studio lights"? Most studio lights are flashes. (strobes)

Any company has the same capability to use studio strobes. They connect via a PC port on the camera. If the camera doesn't have one, a simple hotshoe adapter is available for $10.

As far as lots of lights being necessary, no, they aren't. You can make beautiful portraits with 1 light of any kind, and a reflector. That one light can be the sun, or sunlight from a window, or a tungsten light, or a strobe.

Yes and no, it really depends on what the subject is . For example a portrait or small object can be done very simply and very well as you described. Large objects or interior architecture may require and usually do, several flash units.

Most reactions

Back