Composition Theory Applied To Real Photographs

DistantSubject

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I was just reading through some old notes on composition and it inspired me to take a look at some of my photographs. Then I tried to mark what I did right, and what I did wrong. I thought the people here might like to see what I did, and maybe share their own examples.

The first photo is labeling things I did right, and the second is of things I did wrong. (btw I'm not trying to say there is an objectively "right or wrong" way to take photos).

$composition_04715(censor).jpg$composition_0517(composition).jpg

Last edited:
The "wrong" things you listed are not always wrong.

The "right" things you listed are not always right.

I would strongly suggest you look at #1 again... I would argue that most of those points as not necessarily correct!

I would strongly suggest you look at #1 again... I would argue that most of those points as not necessarily correct!
Really? What's wrong? :scratch:

#1... "basically a portrait" subject is vertical, image is horizontal, vertical would have worked better
#2 ... person is NOT the largest element in the image
#3... you really call that bench "leading liines"?
#4... harsh light... no fill
#5... blown highlights... see #4
#6... that aint BOKEH in the background... there is little to no blur (and bokeh describes the quality of the blur, and is not a name for the blur (or lack of it) itself!)
#7.. subjects legs are cutoff.. why?

want me to keep going?

#1... "basically a portrait" subject is vertical, image is horizontal, vertical would have worked better
#6... that aint BOKEH in the background... there is little to no blur (and bokeh describes the quality of the blur, and is not a name for the blur (or lack of it) itself!)

want me to keep going?
Please do! You make many excellent points. :thumbup:

Maybe you could do this same exercise to one of your photos? I think this thread could be very helpful to beginners like myself.

want me to keep going?
Please do! You make many excellent points. :thumbup:

Maybe you could do this same exercise to one of your photos? I think this thread could be very helpful to beginners like myself.

It might help if you were duplicating the photograph that I did the exercise too... but probably not on anything else. None of the rules are HARD and FAST RULES, they are merely guidelines. I would suggest reading a good book or three on general photographic composition, and look at images that were taken by professionals (wedding pro's images would probably be most helpful on this type of image).

Plus shoot a lot, and post the images here for C&C... that is one of the best ways to learn.

It might help if you were duplicating the photograph that I did the exercise too... but probably not on anything else. None of the rules are HARD and FAST RULES, they are merely guidelines. I would suggest reading a good book or three on general photographic composition, and look at images that were taken by professionals (wedding pro's images would probably be most helpful on this type of image).

Plus shoot a lot, and post the images here for C&C... that is one of the best ways to learn.
Hmm... You make many good points. I guess I think very mechanically and analytically - I love the idea of applying science to art to make "perfect" entertainment. But I suppose it's unrealistic to believe that the same set of rules/guidelines could be applied to every subject.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Most reactions

Back