composition

stocke2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
did I mess up this picture by cutting off the feet?

conor1.jpg

No, you did not, for you did not cut off his feet. You went in closer and "cut" through his thigh.
From what I learned right here on TPF (and it was here I learned most of the things I now know I should underline), it is ok to "lose limbs" as long as your border does not cut right through joints (ankles, knees, ellbow, shoulder, wrist). Maybe, if you want to be on the absolute safe side, you might crop just a little higher (just a little), and then in from the right to get back to the usual print size, if that matters to you.

But this photo does not look like the one with "the cardinal mistake" of cutting off people's feet.

No, you did not, for you did not cut off his feet. You went in closer and "cut" through his thigh.
From what I learned right here on TPF (and it was here I learned most of the things I now know I should underline), it is ok to "lose limbs" as long as your border does not cut right through joints (ankles, knees, ellbow, shoulder, wrist). Maybe, if you want to be on the absolute safe side, you might crop just a little higher (just a little), and then in from the right to get back to the usual print size, if that matters to you.

But this photo does not look like the one with "the cardinal mistake" of cutting off people's feet.

great, a photographer somewhere else told me I should not have cut off the feet, but when I took the photo I didn't really feel showing his feet gave me the shot I was looking for, I really liked the way he just kind of leaned up on the fence and stared off like he was in deep thought, I basically set him over by the fence and let him do his own thing a little bit, and loved the pose.

The composition is perfectly fine. As LaFoto noted, if you had cut at the ankles, that would have been a problem. Overall, the shot is very nice. It's well exposed, the color saturation is good, and the skin tones are natural. My only problem (and this is minor if you're just starting out) is that it's a bit soft. It's just ever so slightly out of focus, and his face is slightly too dark. Other than that, well done.

The composition is perfectly fine. As LaFoto noted, if you had cut at the ankles, that would have been a problem. Overall, the shot is very nice. It's well exposed, the color saturation is good, and the skin tones are natural. My only problem (and this is minor if you're just starting out) is that it's a bit soft. It's just ever so slightly out of focus, and his face is slightly too dark. Other than that, well done.

so then this one is not good because I accidently cut off part of the feet at the bottom?

boys-1.jpg

Sorry, but yes, that's about right. This is one of those situations where it probably wouldn't do much good to crop up from the bottom. This sort of shot really needs to show the whole of all three of them. I also probably would have cropped slightly from the right. But once again, exposure and saturation are good.

Sorry, but yes, that's about right. This is one of those situations where it probably wouldn't do much good to crop up from the bottom. This sort of shot really needs to show the whole of all three of them. I also probably would have cropped slightly from the right. But once again, exposure and saturation are good.

yea, I was gonna crop a little in from the right, especially cause of the branch that was a litle in the way and is out of focus in the front, the cutting off of the feet really downed me because other than that I really loved this photo. However that said, I printed an 8x10 for my parents and they love it, they wanted a portrait of the boys for their wall, and for that it works out fine, they don't notice the difference, even if it does bother me.

As Max is saying: yes, here it went wrong. This bit of cutting-off-feet should not happen.
In addition to Max's words I feel it would have been nice to see included in the frame what it is on the ground that fascinates the middle boy so.
But all in all I really like the non-posed, spontaneous, as-if-candid scene! And the location looks great, so do the colours!

As Max is saying: yes, here it went wrong. This bit of cutting-off-feet should not happen.
In addition to Max's words I feel it would have been nice to see included in the frame what it is on the ground that fascinates the middle boy so.
But all in all I really like the non-posed, spontaneous, as-if-candid scene! And the location looks great, so do the colours!
actually it pretty much is a candid scene, that is a spot at the local zoo, we go there almost every week, so I plan on trying to get some better pictures at that spot.
My family loves those pics so much they all want me to take pictures of them in front of it. Unfortunately that spot is really tricky, it is best on an overcase day because if it is too sunny and especially around noon or so, the sun comes in right at that spot, i the sujects face.
the rest of the family wants to do really stiff poses and all, and I try to get them to understand, I think the thing that makes those pictures work so well is I set the boys over there and let them do thier own thing, let thier natural personalities come out with a minimum of coaching from me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back