Compression for the web?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK I need some help here! I am in the process of finally setting up my "REAL" website after a few years of fiddling around with ideas, GUI's, and dummy sites and I need some help in the compression department. My max image output size is going to be 630x630x72 which is great for low contrast BW images but hell on the high color high contrast images. So far my largest "acceptable" quality file is clocking in at 83k using PS CS2 compression. This is still too big for my tastes! Are there any 3rd party porggys anyone can suggest that will help me save some K without trashing my images with artifacts?

PS- I am pre-loading all the images but that doesn't help as much as I would like. Am I screwed into slower response? How does everyone else do it!?

Ya thats what I have been thinking :cry:

PS- Someone set up us the bomb :er:

Are you using save for web? You should be able to get it down to 40-60k with acceptable quality using save for web.

Digital Matt said:
Are you using save for web? You should be able to get it down to 40-60k with acceptable quality using save for web.

Yes this was using save for web and even had about .21 blur set along with "Progressive" which saved another 1.3k. I think maybe I have just bottomed out for this size?

If you find a way, put me down for it too. My site is all about the same size as you mentioned. My webserver is on the floor next to me so I do it all from home here with the exception of an outside DNS service. I use banana album flash for the galleries which is nice, but the load time is not consistent in speed. All depends on the user share bandwidth of my ISP and if my kids are playing xbox online. Check it out if you want by clicking on my signature link. The galleries haven't been updated in about a year or so, but there are a few there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back