Computer Network/Software Questions

Guido44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danfarinastudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering what it would take to be able to have "onsite" photo viewing and sales table at an event.

Mainly, sporting events. What I would like to have is a table set up with a computer and 2 or 3 monitors. Each monitor would have a mouse for customers to view and browse photos from a game.

What hardware and software would I need to make that work? (Apple compatable only please, I hate Microsoft)Could I use Lightroom2 from one tower or laptop?

I know some of you computer geeks love this stuff, so please help me out here.

Eventually, it might be nice to have something like this, but I need to walk before I run. :) (I don't have a car or truck big enough for starters)

Services - Winning Photography: Sports Action & Team Photography in Tampa Bay

Thanks,

dan

Last edited:
Guido44

What you ask sound very nice on words but it need more resources that what you think
First of all
In order to have 2 or 3 monitors with mouse and keyboard for the customer you are going to need 2 or 3 computer also, in other words 1 computer per monitor and mouse you can split the monitors from one computer but you can not assign keyboard and mouse privileges per monitor from the same tower.

Also you are going to need a server gallery software hosted in one of the computer in order to give each computer the privilege to browse the photos with exclusivity like a web content or interactive content. Ligthroom allow you to display the full view of the photo in a different monitor but still you have the control not the customer.

In the example that you show up if you notice the top is the monitor the but under the table a tower is visible.

To be honest with you the best and affordable way that you can do that is with PC one media server and 3 micro towers running on a wireless enviroment and on the media server you can run an apache web server where you are going able to install any gallery distribution software and in that way the customer can browse and select the photos from each computer using the IE.

If you want to do the same with MAC the difference in money is going to be by a couple of thousands.

Good Luck with your project

Last edited:
I know it costs a lot, but the Apple 30 inch Cinema Display is a dream for viewing photographs on. It is what I use, and what I like about it is the huge screen and its high "native" size; with it, you can view high-MP d-slr captures without having the photos down-sized terribly. When editing your captures on the 30 inch Cinema Display, you can literally "see" what the image looks like, without the need to open it in an editing app like PS, and zooming into 100 Percent view,and scrolling around.

I moved from a pretty good 22 inch Samsung LCD to the 30 inch Apple, and it was the one,single,simplest, best thing I ever did in terms of image viewing and evaluating my images.

I know it costs a lot, but the Apple 30 inch Cinema Display is a dream for viewing photographs on. It is what I use, and what I like about it is the huge screen and its high "native" size; with it, you can view high-MP d-slr captures without having the photos down-sized terribly. When editing your captures on the 30 inch Cinema Display, you can literally "see" what the image looks like, without the need to open it in an editing app like PS, and zooming into 100 Percent view,and scrolling around.

I moved from a pretty good 22 inch Samsung LCD to the 30 inch Apple, and it was the one,single,simplest, best thing I ever did in terms of image viewing and evaluating my images.

Agree with you apple cinema are great monitors but lets do not forget that he is looking for monitors for the customers not for him to editing the photos. As you mention the Samsung are really good monitors for the price. Taking that in consideration he can use that kind of monitor for the customer view.

Last edited:
Uh, yeah $1,800 for a display monitor! It better be good. :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I also emailed the photographer from the link above. He was nice enough to respond.

So, now I'm contemplating just using my current home computer and monitor on site just to get started. I have a 19 inch monitor. It might be worth buying a larger monitor for a little more dazzle.

I couldn't justify spending that much money with the amount of time I can invest in shooting. I'm trying to build up to that point, but right now it ain't there. :)

Thanks for your replies.

Dan

Last edited:
Uh, yeah $1,800 for a display monitor! It better be good. :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I also emailed the photographer from the link above. He was nice enough to respond.

So, now I'm contemplating just using my current home computer and monitor on site just to get started. I have a 19 inch monitor. It might be worth buying a larger monitor for a little more dazzle.

I couldn't justify spending that much money with the amount of time I can invest in shooting. I'm trying to build up to that point, but right now it ain't there. :)

Thanks for your replies.

Dan

Well, my suggestion is one that would make your photos look truly incredible to customers. You could display using basically any current Macintosh CPU or laptop that can support a Cinema Display. The difference between dazzling people and showing them an image on the largest, best monitor they have probably ever seen, and a 19 inch or 22 inch monitor might actually be worth investing some money into. Image is everything. Especially when one is trying to sell images....

Look for a refurbished one...they are $1299 from Apple. What exactly is the cost of doing business?

Most reactions

Back