Computer QN

rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking into getting a new pc and looking at the mac as an alternative option. can anyone tell me if there is anything id actually miss from my pc years? (os functionality/compatibility as a primary concern in terms of software etc). also to anyone who can tell me sincerely and honestly is the price-performance ratio found on the PC still make mac worth it?

please refrain from talking of viruses, slow downs and so forth as im quite familiar as to how mac achieves this and why a windows based pc can't achieve some of the mac-touted 'features'...

I've been a die-hard PC user. I always build my own systems and swore I'd never get a mac... even though I'd never given them a chance. My wife is a mac addict and just upgraded to an iMac and I've been left wanting. I've got a fairly new PC with windows 7 (which is my favorite version of windows yet, prior to windows XP) and don't have any specific complaints about my system. Her mac, however... out of the box that thing impresses. I love their user interface now that I've taken the time to get used to it. It's extremely fast, even with all of her design programs open at once. And the mouse!? Have you heard about their new mouse? It works like a normal mouse would, except the entire surface of the mouse is also like the touch screen on an iPhone or iPod... so you use it to scroll around pages (any direction), similar to the click wheel on a PC mouse, but light years ahead of it. For years I've said the only thing keeping me on the PC was computer games - and I haven't played in years... So I can say with confidence that my next purchase will be an iMac, and I'll be getting an iPad when I go back to grad school instead of a laptop.

If you haven't used one much, I'd say go use one if you can. You'll hate the interface at first because it won't make sense since you're used to windows... but if you give it an honest shot and put some time into it, you may end up as impressed as I was once it finally became comfortable.

For what it's worth, my wife uses MS office for mac (does not have to run in virtual machine), and the Adobe Suite - all of which run flawlessly. Other than computer games targeted at the PC, you'll be hard pressed to find something that's for business use that's not available for mac.

Last edited:
ive given them a good try at the store. for sometime i kept visiting the store just to fiddle with out and a friend has a macbook pro so fiddled there too. im impressed by it especially the iMac screen wise...my only hic up has to be the price point vs the pc. would you say its worth it? while i dont play computer games heavily on my pc (i do have the odd ball ones) but notice there are mac versions for those specific ones plus steam has been helping in that department except if i want to make my iMac gaming capable id need to get the top of the line one which then really starts to scratch that price-performance itch that keeps me juggling. my pc atm isn't a slouch so im not in a hurry...but im trying to iron out the good from the bad from personal user feedback and not the sales rep mumbo jumbo...

my bad...can someone please move the thread for me? sorry...

I've been using both Mac and PC ever since I can remember. To tell you the truth you can get a much better spec'd PC for the price of a Mac. For photo editing I strictly use Mac. Anything else is PC.

Most reactions

Back