Computer suggestions?

My monitor at work here has a Radeon X300, and at home I also have a Radeon, (7800 I think?), and I can easily set a profile for each monitor. If I right click on my desktop and choose properties, then the settings tab, I get a window showing my dual monitor setup. If I highlight my right monitor, and click advanced, there is a color management tab where I choose the default monitor profile. I apply and click ok, and it brings me back to the screen showing the dual monitor layout. I then highlight the left monitor, and repeat the previous steps, setting a different profile for the other monitor.

Prior to getting a Monaco XR, we used a Colorvision USB Spyder here at work, in the same fashion.

Perhaps other video cards do not allow this. I can only speak for ATI and the models I use. Perhaps the video card DOES matter.

There is really no need (for me at least) to have both monitors calibrated. I only view images on one monitor. The other is for photoshop pallets.

My monitor at work here has a Radeon X300, and at home I also have a Radeon, (7800 I think?), and I can easily set a profile for each monitor. If I right click on my desktop and choose properties, then the settings tab, I get a window showing my dual monitor setup. If I highlight my right monitor, and click advanced, there is a color management tab where I choose the default monitor profile. I apply and click ok, and it brings me back to the screen showing the dual monitor layout. I then highlight the left monitor, and repeat the previous steps, setting a different profile for the other monitor.

Prior to getting a Monaco XR, we used a Colorvision USB Spyder here at work, in the same fashion.

Perhaps other video cards do not allow this. I can only speak for ATI and the models I use. Perhaps the video card DOES matter.

There is really no need (for me at least) to have both monitors calibrated. I only view images on one monitor. The other is for photoshop pallets.

You make a good point about not worrying about both monitors being calibrated. The one where I display my work is the one that is calibrated and the other one is where I keep most of my tools.

Hahahaha I think Invisible got more information than he wanted....

Hahahaha I think Invisible got more information than he wanted....

I got more information than I needed, but not necessarily more than I wanted!

Thanks everybody for all the help! Hopefully this thread will be useful for other users too.

By the way, last wek I bought what can be considered a "cheap" LCD monitor (CAD 279 + taxes). It's the Samsung SyncMaster 931BF (specifications and review here). I'm very happy with it.

I got more information than I needed, but not necessarily more than I wanted!

Thanks everybody for all the help! Hopefully this thread will be useful for other users too.

By the way, last wek I bought what can be considered a "cheap" LCD monitor (CAD 279 + taxes). It's the Samsung SyncMaster 931BF (specifications and review here). I'm very happy with it.

LCDs are getting better all the time. I waited until just recently to switch over from CRT. I've been happy with mine.

OK, it seems that I might end up using Photoshop Elements 5.0 instead of Photoshop full (it's too expensive for my pockets). I hope Elements will be enough, at least for a while.

Regarding the computer, I've just received a quote for this:
  • 320GB SATA II 16MB cache Seagate (5 yr warranty)
  • EVGA Nvidia 7100GS DVI 128MB DDR2 video card
  • Windows XP Pro (cd and license) + free upgrade coupon for Vista
There is also the alternative of choosing [FONT=&quot]a Dual Core AM2 X2 CPU 3800+ processoe (I'm not sure what the difference in performance would be, but it would cost me an additional CAD 75)[/FONT].

Thoughts?

all i can say: memory memory memory

and a good screen that you calibrate if you want to work semiprofessionell.

:D Hey, I'm multiplying my current memory by four!

2 GByte is fairly good for RAW files from todays cameras and most graphic applications. :)

Stay away from Vista unless you are forced by your god or your wife, you would not want the OS manage and display your RAW files anyway, do you?

Most reactions

Back