Computer Wizards, I Need Your Help!!!

e.rose, before you go to the trouble of switching out the router, it might be worth making sure the problem is not your computer. Do you have another device you could test your router with (say, another computer, a phone or an ipad or something)? I can't imagine any new router being that slow, so there's clearly something off in the negotiation between your computer and the router, and the culprit could be either one.

If you've had better luck with the same computer before (with another router), then sure, replacing the router might be worth trying but don't ignore the possibility of the computer being the problem.

It's not the computer, I've used this computer on a dozen other wireless networks before without a hitch. It was working fine before we moved, and then AFTER we moved and bought a new router... nothin'.

e.rose ... did you get a replacement ?

I got to this thread a little late, so I don't know if I should bother if you have already fixed the problem.

Yes, I got one from Charlie today :sillysmi:
Ah, Ok.
So the Belkin really was a lemon.

It absolutely was.

I got the one Charlie sent me today... paused our trip to Target so I could set it up and test it... and it works BEAUTIFULLY.

I even ran a speed test on it (screen shot below)

We're paying for 20Mbps speed and when I did the speed test with the modem only, I was getting between 23 and 24Mbps. WITH the router (which again is the screen shot before), it never changed.

So I'm pretty stoked (and super grateful to Charlie :sillysmi: ) that we now have a super awesome router that works like MAGIC!!! :biggrin:

Attachments

• $Picture 22.jpg
    $Picture 22.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 79
Hmm, your ISP is providing up to 20Mbps ... and your speed test says you are getting 24Mbps, hmm bonus 4Mbps.

Hmm, your ISP is providing up to 20Mbps ... and your speed test says you are getting 24Mbps, hmm bonus 4Mbps.

Haha, yeah, they always do that though.

With my old ISP, I was paying for 25Mbps, and it wasn't out of the ordinary for us to pull 27Mbps or so.

Yeah, they use more conservative figures ... fudge factor to ensure they do not under-provide too much.

Most reactions

Back