Concerning the Exposure Debate... (i'm gonna get flamed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the comment a bit rude and not very helpful at all.

As it goes I'm happy with those images and don't think they deserved the harsh Critisizm they received.
Sure they are not perfect but they are not a million miles away from what I'm trying to do.
So I now turn up the FEC to -1 and get to within 5-10 feet of the subject.
End result is the background I want showing the lighting but with a slightly higher exposure on the actual subject.

So I have taken on board the criticism and taken steps to make things a little better.
Im also being a lot more harsh with my own Critisizm and not uploading every photo from a shoot.... I did a wedding disco at the weekend and took just over 500 images, 104 have already been blitzed at the first cull for one reason or another (mostly an odd facial expression, no smile, subject looks away, arm of another dancer making an appearance in the frame etc)
Im expecting to be able to cull another 100 at least... Not because they are bad images just coz they are not outstanding, so nobody needs to see them at all.

I DON'T agree with the comments that said the background was distracting from the subject, it's obvious the intended subject and the lighting adds to the overall atmosphere of the photo.

I GUESS it's just a marmite thing, I've had many positive comments about my club photography from the people in the photos AND and offer of employment from a nightclub who want me as their official promotional tog.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the results :)

Oh, the people in the photos gave you positive comments? I wasn't aware that you were taking photos of people that knew anything about photography.

You can get positive comments from all sorts of people in the world, but generally those in the same field of expertise hold a heavier weight. There are a lot of people who think that Facebook likes dictate the success of an image. I changed my profile photo the other day and got 20 likes! Zomg it must be a good photo!

Truth be told, it's nothing special. Just a photo of my girlfriend and I. Heck, I didn't even take the photo.

I found the comment a bit rude and not very helpful at all.

As it goes I'm happy with those images and don't think they deserved the harsh Critisizm they received.
Sure they are not perfect but they are not a million miles away from what I'm trying to do.
So I now turn up the FEC to -1 and get to within 5-10 feet of the subject.
End result is the background I want showing the lighting but with a slightly higher exposure on the actual subject.

I DON'T agree with the comments that said the background was distracting from the subject, it's obvious the intended subject and the lighting adds to the overall atmosphere of the photo.

I GUESS it's just a marmite thing, I've had many positive comments about my club photography from the people in the photos AND and offer of employment from a nightclub who want me as their official promotional tog.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the results :)

And what does the average "clubber" and "Nightclub" know about photography? If you post on a clubbing / nightclub site / facebook... yea, they will say your shots are good... They don't know any better!

Many TPF'rs have a lot of knowledge about photography and professional shooting... that is why you are here,right... to learn from those knowledgeable people? Or were you expecting us to gush over your images?

You sound like you are "invested" in your photos... and don't deal well with with any honest feedback. If you want nothing but praise, stick to Facebook... but you won't improve... what does inaccurate, unknowledgable praise teach you?

Good luck!

The average nightclub or clubber probably know very little about photography, but they know what THEY like, so does it really matter?

I HAVE taken the criticism and learnt from it too, so next time will be even better.

The average nightclub or clubber probably know very little about photography, but they know what THEY like, so does it really matter?

The average radio listener probably thinks that nickelback creates amazing music. Which sure, to them it sounds amazing because they like hearing the same song reused over and over again. They "like it." But to the people that actually LISTEN to music, they can hear the rehashed garbage that they put out.

Same thing goes for photography. Some people like really awful photographs, for whatever reason. Photos that wouldn't survive critique without being demolished.

Oh I see so my photos are really aweful now are they?

I wasn't talking specifically about your photos, no. You just happened to take it that way.

No doubt, there is no accounting for the broad range of taste the general public has.

Generally speaking, on a photography forum most photography is held to a fairly high standard.

But, each person still decides on an individual basis what constitutes a good, a mediocre, or a poor photograph.

So yes, some people will find your photos aweful, some will find them mediocre, and some will think they are brilliant.

Oh I see so my photos are really aweful now are they?

I wasn't talking specifically about your photos, no. You just happened to take it that way.

Your right about the radio listeners, I often think some of the music I play is complete crap when I'm DJing, but if the crowd like it then it's all good. It's not about what I like or what other DJs like, it's about the audience.

Does the same not apply in the case of photos?

Im no longer defending my images as such, theirs not much point.

BUT what I have done is taken in the comments and used them positively to do better next time.

Wasn't that the whole point of the critique?

I think we can call this one done. My eyes glazed over by page 8.

All points, sub-points, snide comments, mini-fights, breakups, make-ups, horn-tooting, calling out said horn-tooting, and of course - going wildly off topic, seems to have all been accomplished here.

fini! :band:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back