Concert Photography Lenses (LowLight)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! Beginner concert photographer here!

I have a Canon 60D with 2 lenses as of right now (kit lens & 50mm f/1.8) but am looking for an even better lens.

I was looking at the Canon 24-70mm 2.8, but the price on that thing is super high for me... Does anyone know where I can get it for a cheaper price??

Also, I have seen the 17-55 IS too, but I'm just looking for other recommendations :)

Preferably:
Wide Angled
For Low Light conditions

You could look at the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM. It's about 1 1/3 stops faster than the Canon 17-55, but it doesn't have IS which I think is important in dark venues. With IS the Canon would close the gap and lead by 2 stops more than the Sigma. If your shooting close-up with flash than I'd take the Sigma for the bokeh.

First, settle down on a range of focal lengths. Do you need a standard zoom lens, with a similar range as your 18–55 mm kit lens, only sharper? Would you rather sacrifice a bit of wide-angle in favor of a longer long-end (a la 24–70 mm)? Do you want to go all-in for a telephoto?

Then look around for specific lenses. Stick to lenses with a maximum aperture of at least f/2.8. (The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 that tinyrobot suggested is quite unique in being a zoom lens faster than f/2.8.) Don't just look at Canon lenses — there are excellent lenses from Sigma and Tamron. For example, Sigma’s 17-50mm f/2.8 OS and Tamron’s 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 VC lenses are all at least close to the performance of the Canon counterpart, and are less expensive.

First, settle down on a range of focal lengths. Do you need a standard zoom lens, with a similar range as your 18–55 mm kit lens, only sharper? Would you rather sacrifice a bit of wide-angle in favor of a longer long-end (a la 24–70 mm)? Do you want to go all-in for a telephoto?

Then look around for specific lenses. Stick to lenses with a maximum aperture of at least f/2.8. (The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 that tinyrobot suggested is quite unique in being a zoom lens faster than f/2.8.) Don't just look at Canon lenses — there are excellent lenses from Sigma and Tamron. For example, Sigma’s 17-50mm f/2.8 OS and Tamron’s 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 VC lenses are all at least close to the performance of the Canon counterpart, and are less expensive.

Just looked up these lenses and was very impressed! Thank you so much!

I have a Canon 60D with 2 lenses as of right now (kit lens & 50mm f/1.8) but am looking for an even better lens.

I was looking at the Canon 24-70mm 2.8, but the price on that thing is super high for me... Does anyone know where I can get it for a cheaper price??

Also, I have seen the 17-55 IS too, but I'm just looking for other recommendations :)

Preferably:
Wide Angled
For Low Light conditions

if you're shooting close (on stage) the Sigma 18-35 1.8 should work

Preferably:
Wide Angled
For Low Light conditions

I will more than likely be shooting in the photo pit. I'm not too sure when I'll start shooting on stage xc

Preferably:
Wide Angled
For Low Light conditions

I will more than likely be shooting in the photo pit. I'm not too sure when I'll start shooting on stage xc

how far away is the "photo pit" ?

the cheap 50mm 1.8 mkII or STM could be an option

Preferably:
Wide Angled
For Low Light conditions

how far away is the "photo pit" ?

the cheap 50mm 1.8 mkII or STM could be an option

Most of the time, the photo pit is right in front of the stage. Depending on the venue or festival you are shooting at. For example, the photo pit at Austin City Limits Festival is enormous. A telephoto lens would be necessary. But for the venues I am shooting at, a 35mm or 50mm is absolutely perfect. I need to look into getting a 35mm.

A few thoughts:

Forget about IS. It really won't do anything for you. You need as fast a shutter speed as you can get, not the ability to shoot at a slower one. IS will do nothing to freeze the action on stage.

If I'm shooting in the pit, I'll use the 70-200mm f/2.8L on the 6D, and the 24-70 f/2.8L on my second body (either the 40D or the 5D). Someone mentioned a 50 mm f/1.8. That's okay, although I've found it focuses slower than I'd like. The f/1.4 version is a better choice. If I'm shooting from the soundboard, I've settled on the 6D with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. In and of itself, it's not the fastest of lenses. Coupled with the ridiculously good high ISO performance of the 6D, however, it's a perfect option.

Unless you're doing tour photographery, you won't be shooting from the stage, so I'd recommend not basing your buying decisions on that factor.

A few thoughts:

Forget about IS. It really won't do anything for you. You need as fast a shutter speed as you can get, not the ability to shoot at a slower one. IS will do nothing to freeze the action on stage.

If I'm shooting in the pit, I'll use the 70-200mm f/2.8L on the 6D, and the 24-70 f/2.8L on my second body (either the 40D or the 5D). Someone mentioned a 50 mm f/1.8. That's okay, although I've found it focuses slower than I'd like. The f/1.4 version is a better choice. If I'm shooting from the soundboard, I've settled on the 6D with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. In and of itself, it's not the fastest of lenses. Coupled with the ridiculously good high ISO performance of the 6D, however, it's a perfect option.

Unless you're doing tour photographery, you won't be shooting from the stage, so I'd recommend not basing your buying decisions on that factor.

I really want the Canon 24-70, but I believe that's out of my price range. Do you have an opinion on Sigma's 18-35 ?

I also say the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 is a decent option from the pit.

A few thoughts:

I really want the Canon 24-70, but I believe that's out of my price range. Do you have an opinion on Sigma's 18-35 ?

I can't speak to that lens in particular, as I have no experience with it. I do like Sigma lenses, though.

That said, that focal length would just be too wide for me. I take an occasional wide shot but, like anything, too much of anything is boring.

What's your price range? The 24-70mm f/2.8L II is right around $1,800.00, but the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS is about $800.00 less at B&H. The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 is $100.00 less than that.

Depending on how far you can stretch your budget, you could get the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for a little bit less than the cost of the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II.

Good lenses there just consider the weight of the f2.8 zooms there a bit heavier than maybe what your used two, not a big deal but just factor it in.

Well, sure, they're heavier, but it's not like strapping on a Buick.

I would never allow the weight of a piece of gear to sway me from purchasing it if that piece of gear is what I needed to do the job.

Well, sure, they're heavier, but it's not like strapping on a Buick.

I would never allow the weight of a piece of gear to sway me from purchasing it if that piece of gear is what I needed to do the job.

yes, f2.8 on the shorter focal lengths are very different in size and weight than the 400mm 2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back