concert photography tips

You could use flash if you know how to use it and artists agree with it. But you must have some balls to do so, because everyone tells you to not use it, especially other photographers (who don't even own one).

I own several, and I say "don't do it". Nothing ruins a concert photo faster and more effectively than a flash.

There are three entities who must agree on anything done during a show: The artist, the artist's management and the house manager. If any one of those three don't sign off on something, it's a fair bet that it's not going to be done.

However, you must have complete control over it, so master your flashing first as you don't want to bother audience too much with it.

The "no flash" rule isn't in place because it'll bother the audience. It's in place because it bothers the artists.

I photoghraphed small acts as well as acts like Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper with a flash. Seriously, if the artist is bothered by it you are doing it wrong.
I think it helps that I dont live in America because we dont have much of problems with housemanagers and artists managers making up rules and such.
I always make my way of working clear in advance so everyone know what they can expect when I am working at the concert and I never had any problems with it.

no, if you are using a flash, especially for name artists where the conditions are usually better, YOU are doing it wrong. In concert photography, you're trying to capture the experience and atmosphere. That includes capturing the lighting as it is, not changing the lighting with a flash. You're telling the bands what you're going to do as if you're in charge? LOL. You'd never work in the States.

What if you 're on a job, and pics are expected.

Then someone is likely to be disappointed.

I haven't just started doing this. I've been doing concert photography since the 70's. Flash ruins concert pictures. Period. Anyone who says differently probably hasn't had the bar raised high enough yet.

I usely don't use it but when needed I have it with me. At that moment it is searching for soft enough flash to keep as much atmosfere. But most of the time it is not relevant cause it is not allowed. Like a friend of my always says '3 songs no flash'

I added that I use spot metering to have the coorect light on the focus point, any other tips I should ad?

Most reactions

Back