concert pictures (feedback please)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was up front for a recent concert, and took a few shots.

tell me what you think

thanks

psd7.jpg

psd6.jpg

psd5.jpg

psd4.jpg

psd3.jpg

psd2.jpg

psd1.jpg

philip.jpg

thanks, and get back to us with what you think.

everlasting photography

Not trying to bash you or anything, but these looks like ordinary snaphots to me. Seeing how I recently followed a rockphotography workshop, I'll share my experience and give you some tips :)

- Don't use a flash! This is probably the biggest tip I can give you, flash will ruin all other lights in the background and produce a 'flat' picture.
- Set ISO to 800 or 1000. When there is really a lot of light you can bump down to 640 but mostly you'll need at least 800.
- Use biggest aperture your lens has (2.8 or bigger is ideal). This and the high ISO will make sure your photo is bright enough.
- Shoot in RAW. More options for the post-processing afterward, which you will difinitely want to do.
- Try capturing the bigger picture instead of just close-ups of people. Meaning people in spotlights, shouting at each other, whatever.

Oh yeah and lose that watermark, looks like some kid scribbled all over your picture.

Hope this helps.

wow, thanks man

this really helps.
thanks for taking time out to help me

i will do this at the next show, and post what i get

is there any tips i can get to make THESE pics better.
because i do agree, they look ordinary.

and i was wondering if i could process them now for a better effect.

thanks again though, big help man

I'm actually fond of band photography, it's basically where I started out.

Anyways, I bounce my flash depending on the venue, or I set it off at weird angles to get different lighting.

I also stick with about 400-800, i hate the noise in high iso.

Not tooting my own horn, but i'll post some shots I used a flash in, and tell you what I did.

l_0a8ca53e5c55213c61d70b8ece8717a3.jpg

basically I held my flash to my lower left after composing the shot. tilted upward a little bit, flash was more than likely at 1/16th

l_ad30f70008472eeab6ae9cd2ffd656c7.jpg

for this one I held my flash above me, pointing downward at about 1/16th

l_126affc856e5df3117978c3df79a6077.jpg

i was up high behind the drummer in this one, shooting my flash across the plain from left to right.

l_ab7d3f461b018eb7b62136cb5ee60b5d.jpg

and then sometimes the on camera flash can make for something great, but not all of the time.

thanks man
and if you are talking about whitechapel, emmure ..

it is amazing :]

thanks for the comment though

I bounce my flash depending on the venue, or I set it off at weird angles to get different lighting.

I also stick with about 400-800, i hate the noise in high iso.
I find using a flash always tends to give that same (overexposed) white look, I rather use natural stage lights, gives more variation in lighting. Altough I must say that third photo is very cool.

As for the high iso and noise: as long as you have your other settings correct noise never seemed to be a problem with me. The little noise I have I remove with NoiseNinja (or I add some, sometimes it adds to the picture).

Anyways, to each his own I guess.

wow, thanks man

this really helps.
thanks for taking time out to help me

i will do this at the next show, and post what i get

is there any tips i can get to make THESE pics better.
because i do agree, they look ordinary.

and i was wondering if i could process them now for a better effect.

thanks again though, big help man
No problem man. Wouldn't know for sure about these pictures but I think there's not really much you can do except some levels and curves. Maybe some selective burning? I'll give it a try, see what I can come up with. Will post results later if I get around to it, but I'm a lazy man.

Not trying to bash you or anything, but these looks like ordinary snaphots to me. Seeing how I recently followed a rockphotography workshop, I'll share my experience and give you some tips :)

- Don't use a flash! This is probably the biggest tip I can give you, flash will ruin all other lights in the background and produce a 'flat' picture.
- Set ISO to 800 or 1000. When there is really a lot of light you can bump down to 640 but mostly you'll need at least 800.
- Use biggest aperture your lens has (2.8 or bigger is ideal). This and the high ISO will make sure your photo is bright enough.
- Shoot in RAW. More options for the post-processing afterward, which you will difinitely want to do.
- Try capturing the bigger picture instead of just close-ups of people. Meaning people in spotlights, shouting at each other, whatever.

Oh yeah and lose that watermark, looks like some kid scribbled all over your picture.

Hope this helps.

very well said, ernie! wow!

alright, thanks alot man
if you have time sometime, please show me if i can make these a little better

thanks

thanks for the feedback on noise and such ernie. I understand what you're saying, because it's quite the pain at first, to you've balanced it all out, that being finding a happy medium of not having overexposure

I'll post one or two of myself not using a flash, and making use of the available stage lighting..

sorry it may have seemed I hijacked this thread in a way, but I'll start a new one, eventually.

yeah, that would have been a good show to get some pictures of.

and no problem man, we can both learn at the same time.

thanks everyone

if you're goign to use flash, drag it. Otherwise, do the lighting technicians justice.

Most reactions

Back