doobs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hola,

I am taking on yet another project. I'm attending a concert tomorrow and I plan to bring the Holga. I'm going to get T-Max P3200 and I am curious as to if that would suffice. I don't expect it to be totally dark. Since the Holga's shoots at f/13.3 and 1/100 roughly, I wasn't sure they would be well exposed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Push the film when developing might help out alot. It's going to be mighty chunky though if you even get much of anything.

The Holga shoots at f/13.3? Yikes.

Obviously it depends on the kind of concert and lighting, but from past experience of concerts/gigs I've found that even with ISO 3200, it was necessary to shoot at f/2 or wider in order to use a decent shutter speed of 1/125 or 1/60. Anything less than f/2.8 really wasn't much use.

With an aperture of f/13.3 at ISO 3200 in those same conditions I estimate a shutter speed of at least 1/4 or 1/2 a second would be necessary... this would be a problem, but having to shoot at 1/100 is a much bigger problem still. The difference between 1/2 and 1/100 being quite a few stops... :shock:

To put it another way, and finally getting to the point, I think that in order to get a good exposure when limited to shooting at f/13.3 and 1/100s at ISO 3200, you would need... a lot more light than there will be at a concert, unless it's in the daytime, which I assume it isn't.

So I could be completely wrong, but I think you're likely to end up with images maybe 5 stops underexposed. That's going to take a lot of pushing, probably more than T-Max 3200 can take since using it as 3200 is technically pushing it a stop or two already... I think it's really unlikely that you'd get anything out of the Holga here. But it's worth a try :D

I might try to do like quadruple or 5 exposures to see if that might work, LOL. I'll probably end up wasting the rolls on the way there or at dinner or something, anyway.

I might try to do like quadruple or 5 exposures to see if that might work, LOL. I'll probably end up wasting the rolls on the way there or at dinner or something, anyway.

That's a good way to look at it. If you see an interesting image, take it. Don't hold the exposures for the concert.

There is an easy Ten step process get good pictures with a holga.

1. Purchase latex gloves and a ski mask.
2. Affix holga to a tripod.
3. Go to concert.
4. Look for photographer with real camera.
5. Put on Latex gloves, and ski mask.
6. Stealthily sneak up behind man with real camera.
7. Strike him forcefully in the back of the head, with the holga, using tripod for extra power.
8. Snatch up his camera, and wallet.
9. Flee the scene of the crime.
10. When safely away, auto-rewind his camera, and develop his film using funds from wallet.

See....easy as pie.

That's going to take a lot of pushing, probably more than T-Max 3200 can take since using it as 3200 is technically pushing it a stop or two already...
If you look at the development chart, Kodak gives development times for pushing T-Max 3200 up to something like EI 25,000

If you look at the development chart, Kodak gives development times for pushing T-Max 3200 up to something like EI 25,000

True, but the pushing required here might go beyond even that... and I suspect it would take some very careful processing to get useable results. But I'd love to see the shots that prove me wrong :)

If you tend to try and do more creative things like this with your holga, you might consider investing in a modified holga at www.holgamods.com.

You can get a mod that gives you a bulb setting. You'll get plenty of light and interesting shots.

My Holga already has a bulb setting, but I sure as hell wasn't going to bring a tripod. As a matter of fact, it worked out good that I didn't bring my Holga. I ended up better that I didn't bring it. I ended up moshing anyway.

I'm interested, however, in getting one of those Holga strobe flashes. Look pretty cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back