confiscation

bolter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok im a student taking class in photography. about a month ago our instructor had us run off a roll of film to learn how to develop it. anyways i work at target so after work i went in and shot some stuff and i made sure to ask anyone that i photographed if it was ok. also the manager on duty knew i was doing it and didnt seem to have a problem with it. yesterday one of my coworkers asked to see some of the photos that i had printed. my other manager saw them and made me follow him to a private office and ordered me to hand over all photos that were shot at Targert. I told him no but i finaly gave them to him out of the implied fear of losing my job. I just want to know does he have the legal right to convisate me photos like that?

It sort of depends on your contract with your employer, and if there are any signs that ban photography in the store. (Even if bouth are there, once the first manager has sayed yes. His yes sets presidence. if both managers are at the same rank in the system that is.) Make sure to get the approval in wrighting next time, that way no one can cause a problem for you.

I work at an aircraft engine overhaul facility, and there is nothing so secret here that I can't photograph it. (This is why I wonder what could it be at a store that causes such a fuss...?)

If you are in the US I am unsure but in the UK you have the right to photograph in public areas. As far as I am aware this includes shops if you are in the publically accessible area of the shop.

Sounds like one of your managers likes to think himself more important than he really is. I can think of no other reason to stop you taking pictures in such a store.

Either way I am fairly certain if he did sack you for not handing over the photos you would have grounds for unfair dismissal.

One thing that there could be are privacy laws ( Target ) that are in place to protect employees. Or .......he could just be a dick.

Yeah I'd agree with the other posters. It might've been a good idea to get the permission in writing but I'd still follow up with the manager that took the prints and ask for them back.

I dunno, whether you are allowed to take photo's or not, whether there are privacy implications or not, it doesn't matter, he doesn't have the right to confiscate your personal property.
He could call the police and try get them to do it, he could give you the elbow, he could do allsorts of nonesense, but he personally can't take anything from you, he isn't the law though he probably thinks he is and will fill you full of crap to get that film.

He'd eat MY shorts first

Target reserves the rights to the logo so if you photographed them while at work then it might have something to do with it.

Hmm...I think it depends on the store. Some stores are less restrictive about their merchandise, but most major retailers are going to be touchy about having the interiors of their stores photographed.

Personally, I work in a specialty retail store. We don't allow photography inside the store for copyright reasons. I cannot confiscate film, but I will ask anyone trying to take photos (even with a cell phone) to leave the store if they won't quit taking pictures. Because we use our own in-house design teams, we're very careful about people photographing our merchandise. I'm not sure which reason a big-box retailer would use, but they do have the right to protect their logo and merchandise copyrights.

Target reserves the rights to the logo so if you photographed them while at work then it might have something to do with it.

Well, I'm not going to start bluring out all of the trademarked crap that finds its way into the background of my photos, and I'm pretty sure those one hour photo labs aren't going to do it either. I also doubt that companies are going to start suing people who have such things in their photos.

I would have told the manager to go pi$$ up a rope.

I say tell your LOD to take a hike!

I take pictures inside the target I work at all the time. They all think its pretty funny.

The store is most likely private property, so they can restrict photography or whatever they want. I'm not sure they have the right to take them away from you though...but you may not have the rights to use them commercially (which you weren't anyway).

There is the privacy of the employees to consider. Sure, they probably don't mind, but if some stranger was to come in and start photographing the employees, it would be a problem.

I'm guessing there are corporate rules for this type of thing and the manager is just trying to cover his ass....right or wrong.

And I'm sure the O.P. wants to keep their job as well...so telling him off isn't going to help anything.

Big Mike is totally correct. Target being private property technically they are allowed to restrict what you photograph inside the building. However, outside of target in the parking lot or something that would most likely be public.

Sounds like what someone who managed a Target would end up doing to try
and feel a little more important than they really are. I really hate people like that.

Most reactions

Back