Confused about filters

EssentialParadox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a few questions about filters and the cokin 'creative system'.

1. I bought my DSLR two days ago (Nikon D40) and I asked for a way to attach gradient filters so he gave me the cokin filter holder attachment. (I didn't realize I'd paid $24 for a little piece of plastic until I got home, but that's another story) Do I need an adaptor ring? I didn't get one with the filter holder (even though it mentions it furiously in the example pictures), the filter holder kinda sits in the groove on the end of my lens, but I don't know if that's normal or if I should buy an adaptor ring as well?

2. It's the A series, meaning it says it can hold "up to 62mm ring" filters. I am looking at a Tiffen filter kit, which comes with a few ring polarizers. But they are 58mm in size. Would this be too small, or would they sit in there fine?

3. I want to buy some gradient filters because I love sunrise photography. Can someone suggest some good beginner gradient filters? I was recommended to look at the 121 range of Cokin filters and was thinking about the Gradual Grey (ND2) 121L and (ND4) 121M to start with?

Thanks for any help here. I'm a complete beginner to this but very enthusiastic.

I have seen these types of filter systems but until now have disreguarded ( if that's correct spelling) them and have only bought filters that will fit/screw on my lens. Curious to know opinions.

Well I only went for square filters because I thought they looked cooler. (I'm just kidding) it's because, like I said, I do lots of sunrise/sunsets.

I looked more into it and found my lens is ø52mm, and there is a kit for that, so I might get that! But what do I do when I want to use one of these ring filters with a square grad filter? Or should I just stick to buying ring filters that will fit into my filter holder?

I've got my Cokin filters somewhere. I haven't used filters in years. Anyway, from what I remember, you buy an adapter ring that screws onto the end of your lens. The filter holder then slides onto a lip on the adapter. Then you buy the square Cokin filters that drop down into the slot or slots (depending on the filter holder you bought) in the holder. Some holders will only have one filter slot while others have several so you can layer filter effects. Cokin does make a round polarizing filter that you can rotate in the filter holder, but filters that are designed to screw onto a lens will not work in the filter holder.

As for colors, look into sepia and orange gradient filters.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Ah, thanks a lot Jeff. I think I might buy both a lens ring polarizer and that cokin polarizer.

I have seen these types of filter systems but until now have disreguarded ( if that's correct spelling) them and have only bought filters that will fit/screw on my lens. Curious to know opinions.

Screw on filters make using a graduated ND filter tough to useless, unless the horizon in your framing is dead center. Since there are really only two types of filters needed for DSLR's, Circular Polarizer and ND filters,

I went with a single Hoya, 77mm S-HMC Circular polarizer and step down rings for my other lenses. The 77mm fits my 24-70f2.8 and my 70-200f2.8, which uses 77mm filters. The stepdown rings allow me to attach that same filter to any of my other lenses. It was an expensive filter, but fits every lens I own and well worth the cost of that single filter in the long run. Now every lens I own has the best possible polarizer on it at the cost of one filter.

For ND and graduated ND filters I choose Lee 4X4" (100mm) ND filters and Lee 4X6(100mmX120mm) graduated ND filters. That way I can frame my shot and change the horizon for my graduated ND filter to my framing instead of changing my framing to the filter.

When it comes to graduated ND filters square is much easier to use when there are adjustments to be made. Plus a 100mm filter should work on almost any lens you are going to use.

Here is an excellent source for filters of all price ranges.
http://www.2filter.com/index.htm

Thanks for the info gryphonslair99. I can't afford a Lee filter just yet! Maybe in a few years.

I just read another message board and someone said that they attach a screw-in polarizer to their lens and then attach the cokin P holder on top. Does anyone know if that is possible? If I can just just use circular filters as well as the cokin holder I won't need to buy a polarizer for each.

You have already had your questioned answered but I would like to add tha other companies make filters that will fit the Cokin holder. I have the "P" holder and use Shing-Ray GND filters with it. You need an adapter ring for the "filter" size of each lens you own.

as above, the cokin P series would be your best bet, even if you have an A holder. with the P series i think you have a better range of filters and your not limited to using it on a lens that has a ring diameter of under 62mm. beware of colour casting when mounting multiple Cokin ND's or ND Grads at the same time, but you can fix this if you shoot raw when adjusting white ballance :)

Thanks for the info gryphonslair99. I can't afford a Lee filter just yet! Maybe in a few years.

I just read another message board and someone said that they attach a screw-in polarizer to their lens and then attach the cokin P holder on top. Does anyone know if that is possible? If I can just just use circular filters as well as the cokin holder I won't need to buy a polarizer for each.

Keep in mind that Lee makes various grades of filters as do most of the good manufactures. If you decide to go with square filters I would make two recommendations.

First, go with the 100mm filter size. It will save you grief down the road if you ever buy top quality glass or an UWA lens. All of my L glass uses 77mm filters so Cokins A or P series would not work. If you want to stay with Cokin then look at their Z Pro line. It uses the 100mm filters.

That brings me to my second recommendation. If you go to the 100mm size, take a look at the Lee holder. The costs are not that far apart between the Lee and the Cokin, and IMHO the Lee holder is superior in build and use. They also have several lens shades and other accessories for their filter holder that can be useful in certain conditions. The shade are a bit pricey. Lee also makes some accessories for the Cokin system.

gryphonslair99, I'm looking into the Lee system instead. But I have a question. I am looking for a 0.6 ND hard grad filter, but from one of the cheaper companies (at least to start off with). Cokin only seem to sell soft grads, and I can't seem to find anywhere aside from Lee and Singh Ray who has hard grads.

I have a question about filters. I am a newbie with a Nikon D40, and like most newbies, I don't own my own studio :) so I have to do my shoots outdoors. Anyway, I know I need a haze filter, but what would you all recommend for me to get, as far as starter equipment. Mainly, I'm asking about filters, but anything else you all recommend I am definitely open to.

--
Shane

gryphonslair99, I'm looking into the Lee system instead. But I have a question. I am looking for a 0.6 ND hard grad filter, but from one of the cheaper companies (at least to start off with). Cokin only seem to sell soft grads, and I can't seem to find anywhere aside from Lee and Singh Ray who has hard grads.

The HiTech has the cheapest that I have found in a hard grad ND at around $66.00. Better than $120.00. :wink:

Look at the middle of the page. http://www.2filter.com/4x4camerafilters/4x4ndgraduals.html Several makers of hard grad ND's at various prices.

FYI. I do not work for The Filter Connection nor is this an advertisement for them. I have just found them to be a very comprehensive source for filters and filter info.

I have a question about filters. I am a newbie with a Nikon D40, and like most newbies, I don't own my own studio :) so I have to do my shoots outdoors. Anyway, I know I need a haze filter, but what would you all recommend for me to get, as far as starter equipment. Mainly, I'm asking about filters, but anything else you all recommend I am definitely open to.

--
Shane

Ok, I am pretty sure that this reply is going to start a whole new argument but here, but this is my take on the matter. IMHO you only need a haze filter if you are shooting in hazy conditions. Some people like to have a filter on the front of every lens for protection. I do not. I never, never, never use a lens with out the manufacturer's designed lens hood. This protects from stray light and accidental bumps. By the way, did I mention that I NEVER use a lens with out a hood?

Others will have a different opinion and put a UV haze or skylight filter on every lens they own. In 30+ years behind a camera I have never had a lens damage issue that a UV haze or skylight filter would have solved. The F2 that took the 700 foot drop into the Grand Canyon didn't stand a chance and no filter would have helped. :confused: :stun: :shock: :pale: :sad anim: :cry::madmad:

I don't like to run the chance of IQ degradation from using a filter if I don't have to. That is why I also buy high quality filters. To me they are worth the money.

You need to decide for yourself whether you need/want a filter for protection or not. If you do, buy good filters, not the cheapest you can find. That is like buying a Lamborghini and putting the cheapest tires you can find on the thing. If you decide that you don't need a filter just for protection, buy a single high quality filter that fits you largest lens and get step down rings for your other lenses so you can use that single filter for all of your lenses. Spreads the pain of a $150 or $200 filter around and also insures that you have the best for every lens in your collection.

Thanks for that last burst gryphonslair99. I had put UV filters on my 3 lenses to date, mainly for protection. Two did not come with a hood and there was a special "buy 2 get 1 free".

I am almost sure I will order the Nikkor 12-24mm lens tonight and was hunting around B&H for filters. The price difference between 77mm & 52mm is staggering. 'Spose Ima just gonna use that hood fer now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back