Confused about wanting a lense

vacationb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Do i want a camera that i can remove the lense or just zooms? I've only had point and shoot zoom cameras in the past. I'd really like to start taking some different better pictures: nature, action shots, wildlife, family. I have $300-500 to spend. I'm nervous about making a bad decision and yet i'm mad b/c i can't seem to make a decision when i go and look i get overwhelmed: how many MP do i want? what is SLR? changing lenses? nikon, canon, misc? I've only had kodak in the past and loved thier cameras. I want to start taking more pictures and learn more. I've always had an interest but never the time. anyhow i've looked at:

Nikon 6.1 mp digital w/18-55mm lens d-40 $500
nikon 10 mp superzoom L100 $300
Nikon 12.1 mp superzoom P90 $400
Canon EOS rebel 10.1 SLR 18-55 lens $600

I know its up to me and i appriciate the questions and tips you are giving me!

Thanks!
Beth

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I can't tell you...what YOU want ;)....but if you want to adopt photography as a hobby, then it might be a good idea to have a camera with interchangeable lenses.

Its hard to answer your question with the amount of info given. What kind of camera do you have now? When you say the kind that zooms, do you mean a Point & shoot? One of the advantages to having a SLR is the ability to change lenses. Give us more info...:mrgreen:

Beth,

I think that you need to back up before you get to the lens and decide what kind of pictures you want to take.. Or more importantly, how far do you want to take the art of photography for your own satisfaction.

The kind of camera you want to use will dictate whether you need one with an interchangeable lens or not..

But here is an interesting solution...

If you want to have the look of a "big" camera, and don't mind one that doesn't fit in your pocket, then almost any good SLR with interchangeable lenses can be had with a pretty universal lens that you don't ever need to take off if you don't want to.

Look around at the offerings that have interchangeable lenses, but come fitted with a versatile lens such as the very popular 18-55mm zoom.

Two most important questions:
1.) How much do you want to spend on a camera?
2.) How much are you willing to invest in time and money to learning the hobby and buying the additional gear to accomplish that to your satisfaction?

If you currently only have one of those small point and shoot style cameras, know that in the vast majority of cases, just getting a bigger camera with a lens you can remove won't necessarily give you better pictures.

D80...18-55mm/ 55-200mm VR/My Fav. 50mm 1.8 What camera is this AtlPikMan?

Thanks!
Beth

D80...18-55mm/ 55-200mm VR/My Fav. 50mm 1.8 What camera is this AtlPikMan?

Thanks!
Beth

...How much are you willing to invest in time...

This is very important as I've seen quite a few people that buy dSLR cameras then wonder why their old point-n-shoot camera took better photos. They end up feeling as if they wasted their money; yet these are some of the same people who have not and were not willing to invest quality time into learning how to properly use their dSLR.

Then I've seen some people with D40s and Rebel XTs that produce some killer photos because they've invested the time in using their cameras to its full potential.

This time investment starts as soon as you decide to go with an dSLR. Researching your equipement takes a lot of time; not to mention being both fun and frustrating :D

Most reactions

Back