Considering a D50

Wiggly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to be buying my first SLR probably within the next 4-6 months and was considering the D50. The only thing that worries me is the 6.1 MPs. Would that be ok prints as large as 11x14 or even a little larger? Also, I mean, can this camera be used for professional shots? IE wedding photography? I'm an associated partner for a wedding photographer and was just looking for a second opinion. I'm still learning ALOT and mostly just follow orders and assist right now. Things like keep files in order etc etc. Untill I have enough experience to handle a full job alone anyway then I'll get equal cut wooo. Anyway, just thought I would explain before the questions came. Thanks! -kris

The D50 is certainly a good camera and capable of producing files for 11x14 prints. Making large prints is easier though, if you do have more pixels to work with. I can't remember what the price difference is for the D80...but I'd give it serious considerations as well. That's if you are only considering a Nikon. Otherwise, I'd also consider the Canon Rebel XTi or 30D.

I'm prob gonna stick with nikon just because I kinda have a comfort with them. Everyone I know uses Nikon soooo, ya know. The price difference is about 300-400 dollars with the d50 and d80 so it's pretty cosiderable. I just don't want something that I'm going to "outgrow" to soon... any thoughts?

I use a D50 and every lens I own cost more than the camera body. So at least I think it has enough resolution for professional results. I print 8 1/2" X 11" on an ink jet printer. I normally resize down to 400 dpi to print. Any additional resolution would be fairly wasted on that printer and print size. I have a growing collection of camera raw files on the hard drive. I never use anywhere near all of the resolution they contain.

11X14? Piece of cake. 16X20? Probably OK but personally I've never tried it. Is it enough to shoot weddings? Of course. The D80 is the sweet spot in the Nikon line, I think. I would have bought one if it had been available when I bought mine. But I have no nagging desire to trade mine up.

^^ cool that makes me feel a lot more at ease getting the lower end model. thsnk!

My girlfriend uses both a D100 and D70 (both are 6.1mp) and has no problems printing routinely at 8x10 (8.5x11), or 13x19... so you should be fine... good luck with your purchase!

i love my D50!!!!! and i really mean that, and it was my first DSLR camera and like stated before up there, I have no desire to trade mine up untill I know i am financially stable to. You can see some of my end results in my Deviant art in my sig, and to show you some of the colors that come offa this camera click here...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38077148/

The only thing I did to this photo was sharpen it...that came strait out of the camera...I love my D50!! :)

Also the price between the D50 and D80 is about 300-400 bucks or so...I saw a D80 advertised with a really nice lense (like 28-200) for like 1200 and the D50 with an ok lense(28-80 or so) is like 700-800 or so...

Wow that looks GREAT. Oh and might I add... that is one hell of a site. So much great work I could spend hours there. I just spent one there already lol. Thanks, I'm really feeling the D50 after all this!

I like the bug shot on the flower. Wiggly, here's another example for you. This is a simple architectural shot but it has plenty of detail. It is 8X12 in actual size and 80% of the data has been removed from the file from which I would print this on the printer. That should help you quit worrying when you add it to the bug shot.

ancilla.jpg

Personally I hate to steer people towards those kits... there are a few things in there you wont ever use... the price at $858 isnt terrible considering you are getting the two lenses...

I just remember being new... and my GF got hosed on a deal... spent like $200 on a 1gig card because she wasnt aware of the prices...

I would say my advise would be... take your time... price out the camera elsewhere... and maybe a lens kit by Sigma or Tamron for the same focal lengths... and maybe a bag and cleaning kit... the rest you may or may not use... but I would bank on not...

If your price comes up as more... then its a good deal... if it doesnt... then maybe the little frilly stuff they add to entice people really isnt worth it... I know for a fact that their claim of "$3000 in extras" is about $2500 false...

Yeah you're right I prob wouldn't really need the case (I dont like their case), tripods (already have access to a few really damn good ones), aluminum case (can't see me using it at all), or the card reader (do they really make DL faster?). I was also already knew that the extra's price was BS too, but doesn't make it a bad deal! lol. besides...

The rebel XTi has caught my eye as well ;) .

Well the card reader isnt going to technically read the card faster... USB2.0 is USB2.0 is USB2.0..... but I use the card reader all the time since I dont want to use the cameras proprietary software... but a GOOD CF or SD card reader will only cost you about $9.95... not $40...

yea I'm stickin to my guns and will prob stay with the D50... unless theres something thats better bang for the buck in 5 months when I buy lol

Hai Kris,

Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on deciding to buy a new D50. I own one and it's damn good.
But I do have some words of caution. I am using my camera for the last 2 months and am very seriously experimenting with different lenses my friends own. I think the final point in SLR photography lies with the selection of the lens. I would therefore suggest you to buy the camera body and then select the lens basing on your need.
Regarding the kits don't get alluded to those. They definetely charge more than what is necessary to be afforded. You can buy each one individually with much less price than they quoted and definetely they will not provide you the best model and make (which you can select individually).
I would strongly suggest you to go for amazon.com or bhphotoandvideo.com site for the buy. Or else select the site which is most rated. Otherwise you were likely to get a refurbished one or some times a second hand piece.
Would like to see you shoot some pics and share them on this forum.
Happy shooting with your camera and happy learning on this forum,

amiably,
ravi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back