Considering a move Chicago: Is this a nice place to live?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interviewing for a position in Chicago and wanted to ask for some feedback from TPF members who live there or have visited as to why this is a nice place to live.

I have never visited the city, but if I am asked why I'm interested in moving there, I would like to have something to say specifically that attracts me to the area.

Details are helpful.

Thanks for reading and posting! :mrgreen:

I have visited there several times. As usual, there are good and not-so-good about every city, and I think it is mostly one's own outlook on life that governs his perceptions. Chicago seems to me a place where a lot is happening most of the time. Lots to do, no matter your taste.

You can avoid or get used to the bad things about Chicago, or you can let them overwhelm you. My son and DIL lived there for several years, and my brother and family lived just north of the city for quite a while. I doubt if I would want to drive into the city every day, but they have commuter rail.

If you are into "diversity" Chicago has it. If you like night life, Chicago has it. If you like to eat, Chicago has food.

There are some very nice suburbs within commuting distance, and some fairly nice places in close as well.

Sorry I couldn't give you something positive.

Best pizza on the planet.

Chicago is a wonderful place to live. The collection at the Art Institute is breathtaking. The lake is beautiful and magnificent.

Best hot dogs on the planet.

The live music scene is 2nd to none. Riccardo Muti is the director of the Chicago Symphony -- world class best period.

The cultural activities surrounding the University can keep you busy year round.

Chinatown is fabulous -- best peeking duck on the planet.

Outdoor sculpture strewn over the city streets -- you can stand beside a Dubuffet and look up the street to see a Picasso -- it can make you giddy.

Just ignore the weather and the traffic and you'll love it.

Joe

I'm definitely concerned about the crime rates and I'm a life member of the NRA which does not stand squarely with the local and state politics, but I can't let that be the deciding factor.

One has to work to survive, however, and the opportunity I'm being presented is really good, so...

So hard to uproot family and move away from what you know...

jw; you cannot legally posses a firearm in the city of Chicago.

The sailboat racing is excellent, although seasonal, in Chicago (there may be limited ice boating in winter, I think?) It's the starting point for one of the world's legendary races, the Chi-Mac. Most likely you don't care, but that's the only specific I have to offer on the city ;)

I grew up in the suburbs & go back to visit at least once a year (usually much more).

Pros
  • Lots of things to do
    • Museums - the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is the best one I've seen
    • Fairs - The Taste of Chicago is a big one, but I think some of the smaller ones in the suburbs are better because it's less crowded and still very nice (Eyes to the Skies in Lisle)
    • China Town - has some great Dim Sum and photo ops
    • Nice manicured parks
    • Bike trails (at least in the suburbs)
    • If you don't get arrested, there are some nice abandoned places to take pictures of
  • Great food
    • Beef Sandwiches - they've got Portillos
    • Deep dish pizza
    • Thin crust pizza
    • Hot dogs
  • Diverse
  • Great people

Cons (just so you know what you're getting into)
  • Very expensive
  • High taxes (sales, income, and property are all pretty high)
  • Housing is expensive
  • It's crowded
  • Traffic sucks - constant construction
  • Traffic laws suck - low speed limits, high fines, lots of tolls
  • More road signs saying no than I've seen anywhere else
  • Culture of ridiculous laws - when I left at 18 I thought everyone had to call the police and give them their license plate number & place/reason for visiting if they were parking on the street
  • Not gun friendly (if you like to shoot)
  • It's not a great location for hiking

That's all I can think of right now.

To me its a nice place to visit. I could never live there, and not because of the hassles of living in a city... I LOVE urban living. Chicago has lots to do and see, but the crime and politics are what would make it not livable for me.

Lots of museums, and I love those.... so yeah, its a destination for me not a home.

The crime and politics are what would make it not livable for me...

I think this is where I am coming down as well. I will still speak to the interviewer, but I'm not 100% sold at this point.

Oh hellllllllll no! Just kidding Jdubs! I love it here. I agree with everything above except the hiking thing. There is sooooo much to do right here in Chicago and all around the suburbs. Downtown is really amazing. I guess it just depends on what stage of your life you are in, and what you want your lifestyle to be. You know what I mean? Do you want to be in the heart of town or out skirts?

IMO, there is no prettier winter scene then Xmas on the MIracle Mile when it is snowing.
Next to DC, Chicago is an actual city.

Saying that you can't live in Chicago because you're a life member of NRA seems like saying you can't live in Paris because you don't like champagne.

I'm from Chicago. Its a "big boy city". That means, it has everything and anything you want, pretty much any time. It has all the problems of a huge metropolis, meaning traffic, crime, high cost of living, etc., but what you get in return is extraordinary. The culture, museums, food, skyline, special events, etc. will spoil you to the point that other cities will never again match up. To this day, not a day goes by that I wish I was still in Chicago.

There is a lot of crime, but most of it is concentrated around the south and west sides. The north side, loop area, and suburbs are generally quite safe.

Most reactions

Back