Considering making some money on the weekends.

Judd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter plays fastpitch softball and we spend almost every weekend at the ballpark. I have been taking pictures of her team, and have decided I want to try to make some money while I am there. Hey, travel ball is expensive and I need to make some extra $$ where I can :)

I have a Canon 50D with 2 lenses, one is a EFS 18-55 and the other is an EFS 55-250.

I dont really have alot of experience, and I started a thread critiquing my shots over here

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...wb-shots-fastpitch-softball-cc-need-help.html

My idea is to take pictures, hand out business cards to all the parents with a web site to view pictures, then use smugmug as the commerce platform.

The way I see it, is I don't have much to loose, except time. And since I am at the park anyway, why not? As far as the parents go, if they don't like the pictures, they don't have to buy. It's not like they hired me to do a wedding and I botched it. Plus, it gives me practice, and maybe I'll be real good by July/August at the end of the season.

Hey, travel ball is expensive and I need to make some extra $$ where I can :)

I have a Canon 50D with 2 lenses, one is a EFS 18-55 and the other is an EFS 55-250.

I dont really have alot of experience, and I started a thread critiquing my shots over here

The way I see it, is I don't have much to loose, except time. And since I am at the park anyway, why not? As far as the parents go, if they don't like the pictures, they don't have to buy. It's not like they hired me to do a wedding and I botched it. Plus, it gives me practice, and maybe I'll be real good by July/August at the end of the season.

Judd
There are many on this site who cannot stand when someone who is new to photography all of a sudden thinks they are good enough to 'go pro'. Going pro basically means selling one's goods, whatever those goods may be.

I can emphasize with you about the costs of bringing children up, especially with traveling teams and other extra ciricular activities.

Your photos on the other thread need some work. If you are going to do yourself, your child and the potential customers a service, you need improvement. In your case, as fast as is possible.

1. you need to know your equipment
2. you need to know more about photography
3. you need to be able to anticipate what the players may be about to do, which means you need to understand the sport better. This way you can position yourself.

4. If you are going to make a go of this, you are no longer a spectator of your daughter's outings, you are now a photographer....a whole different mindset..

This may be enough for you to think about for now, maybe more later.

Good luck regardless of what you choose to do!!!

After viewing your shots, I agree with the above responses. I don't usually like to critique the work of others, but when there's money involved, it's a whole new ballgame (pardon the pun).

Selling your work puts you in a whole new league, and you're not ready yet. Sports photography is difficult and while it doesn't require specialized gear, you don't see many serious photographers on the sidelines of any sporting event without huge telephoto lenses for a reason.

Sports photography is all about making the viewer feel as if they are a part of the action taking place. Your shots are way too far away and capture more of the background and playing field than what's going on.

If it's me, and I'm going to pay for photos of my kid playing ball, I want to know it's my kid. She's #17, the pitcher. Show me pics of her winging that ball in there while biting her lip and nearly throwing her arm out of socket. Show me that big number on her back after she just ripped one into the outfield while at bat. How about a face-full of dirt as she's sliding into 3rd base on a squeeze play? I don't want to see the cars in the parking lot, or the girl picking her nose in the outfield.

Great pics, Gary...that's exactly what I was talking about!

:thumbup:

Did you shoot those with "EFS 18-55 and the other is an EFS 55-250"

Where were you standing?

How did you know to locate yourself for the shots?

What camera settings?

With the above lenses what are here best chances at similar results as above or the best results she can expect with her talent and equipment?

What would you study, glancing back at your beginning and knowing what you know today?

No these were shot with a 300mmF2.8L
Knowing the sport helps a lot with positioning, i shoot lots of horses because my partner rides so i know quite a bit about horses and what to look for, when your in the ring with them you have to know exactly where they will go because its not funny when they hit you. shooting sport is all about position and timing. Settings can vary from shoot to shoot when shooting horses i never go below F4 for DOF to get rider and horse, football, rugby i will shoot at F2.8 to isolate the player, my main camera will be set on manual with the 300mm lens and other will be on Aperture priority with 70-200 so i can just pick it up and shoot, with those lenses i wouldn't be able to get the same shots mainly because i would not be able to shoot at F2.8 at 250mm i would be at F5.6 which makes a big difference, the only sport i shoot at F5.6 is cricket because i am shooting at 600mm with a 2x extender
the best thing to concentrate on is focus and getting blur free shots with interesting angles getting down low to shoot can make a big differenced to a shot like this http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Grove-and-Rufford-Hunt-point-2/Image00025/577225128_Ve48N-L.jpg

Did you shoot those with "EFS 18-55 and the other is an EFS 55-250"

Where were you standing?

How did you know to locate yourself for the shots?

What camera settings?

With the above lenses what are here best chances at similar results as above or the best results she can expect with her talent and equipment?

What would you study, glancing back at your beginning and knowing what you know today?

I assume some of those ??? are for me?

I used the 55-250 lens the whole time. I played with ISO the entire time as the clouds kept coming and going. cant remember the other settings. You guys are going to kill me for this... I will be honest, its not my camera, I bought it for my wife (which makes me a guy BTW pbelarge): ) I have her set it up, and I go take pictures :oops:. She wont stand in the heat... so I do it

I pretty much had no choice where to stand. For some shots, (on one field)the 1st base fence did not go all the way down so I was able to stand on a berm and was able to get a little closer. Then I switched to the outfield moving from left field to right field

I cropped a couple. is this better as far as not getting the parking lot? I know the pictures are not that focused and sharp.

877593774_gUH4v-M.jpg

That one I wanted to leave the coach in it. That was a bad throw to 3rd that allowed the runner to get up and go home and you can tell the coach is excited about something !!

877593845_ayDwF-M.jpg

I thought this was a pretty good picture. There seems to be good detail but its grainy. Is this what is considered noise? What causes that?

Theres a couple more, I made a new album for the cropped ones

Test - JuddGA's Photos

I appreciate the advise. This weekend my DD is off. I am sure I can find something to shoot. I will practice more on quality, then quantity.

BTW, I do know the sport pretty well and can anticipate most plays. Part of the problem is when I am focused on the batter, and she clocks one to right field, I am trying to catch her hitting, then catch the outfielder catch the ball. If I am behind the fence, that means I am zoomed in on something 200+ feet away, then trying to catch something 40 feet away 2 seconds later.

Guess I need to focus on one player and hope she makes a play !!!

I switched between auto focus and manual focus. Any suggestions there?

Please don't feel bad about criticizing my work constructively. If I dont know it stinks, I cant make it better can i?

I am going to do alot of reading and playing with my camera

Thank you

GO FOR IT!

As you say yourself, if the parents don't like the shots they don't have to buy them. The rest is pure BS.

There is plenty of room in the photo world for everyone who knows how to sell. And if you can't sell, it doesn't matter how good you are, does it? So don't worry too much about the pros, the pseudo pros and the just jealous who wouldn't even shoot the stuff you shoot.

Just go for it and best of luck to you!

Sorry dude, but none of the shots you (the OP) presented are compelling, certainly not for money.

Practice, practice, practice.

As they say in the real estate game it's location, location, location, the same can be said for good sport photography..... you just have to add in timing, isolation, viewer involvement, competitor expression and spot on focus. None of these have been met.

That's not to be said that it can't be done by the OP, but certainly not at this level.

Your softball photos are not all that good. But that will not preclude you from trying to sell the images to parents,family, coaches, and those associated with the team. For people who have an emotional or family attachment, or on especially poignant moments or plays, technical quality of the images is seldom the first,or even second,concern. If you work at it, you will get better and better.

+1, go for it.

I can tell you from experience though that selling action sports photos online is likely to cost you more than you make and if you start selling, the league may want a cut too.

The money is in T&I shoots (Team and Individual).

I think you'll be rather hard pressed to make much coin from these. If anything, there basically a bunch of snapshots. If you're just doing it for fun, you might try bundling them and selling a package of 50 random 4x6 shots from each game for $10 or something, kind of a keepsake. The more you shoot, the better they'll look. After a couple of games, if you don't get any takers, you could tell parents that you'll post them to photobucket or some free site and they can browse and buy a bundle if they want instead of trying to continue getting them printed. Just an idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back