Considering moving to the boonies

How much are you paying (or, quoted to pay)?

The quote was $8,700 for about 100 miles. They are looking at 2 to 3 days and it may be more if there is a major snowstorm for example which slows them down or they run into other problems.

skieur
I would have expected it to be much cheaper with the shorter distance.

Are you doing your own packing, or are they doing it?

We had most of the packing done already, and let the movers pack up the last few boxes. That may be why our move was close to the same price, with considerably more miles. Plus, it was summer - no bad weather or delays...

We are doing our own packing and taking up the fragile stuff and the electronics in our cars. I am also renting a 16 foot trailer to make a few trips with boxes of books, and odd shaped garden tools, workroom stuff, etc.

skieur

Funny story...

When we did this move, we didn't have a house lined up yet. Crazy, I know. Cross country move with no job and nowhere to live. Got housing and employment lined up pretty fast (less than a week) - but, because of our situation, we told the movers to take their time. The guy driving the truck was from Memphis, which was on the way. He said that was perfect for him - he would just stop in Memphis for a few days and visit friends/family.

Well, we got everything lined up faster than we expected, so here we are in our new house - not a stick of furniture anywhere in sight. Just whatever as in the car...

We slept on the floor for 2 or 3 days while we were waiting for the rest of our stuff.

I tossed a couple fold-up lawn chairs in the back of my Jeep - that was the only furniture we had till the truck showed up. :lol:

Good times... :lmao:

Still one of the crazier things I've done... Moving 2000+ miles with no job and nowhere to live... Everything worked out fine though, and now I know that if I have to do it again, I can.

Yes, I expect to be sleeping on the floor as well, along with my wife, son and the dog. Hopefully the furniture will get there, before the company comes in to hook up the televisions and computers, but it depends on the weather.

skieur

A person from the insurance company wanted to come up and inspect the place to see whether their quote should be higher. (Not what he said, but...) Quotes are currently $2,100 to $3,100.

I cannot figure out how it would cost them more to rebuild the house, than what I paid for both the house and 2/3 of an acre of property. Moreover, I would suspect that the total destruction of a house that is not connected to gas or near other "risks" is probably extremely slim. Even a fire would have limited effect on concrete and stone, I would think.

There is obviously not enough competition in the Canadian Insurance Industry.

skieur

There is obviously not enough competition in the Canadian Insurance Industry.

skieur

Not enough competition in a lot of our Industries. lol

Wireless being the biggest glaring example.

You are correct there. Apparently we are close to the top few countries in cost of wireless, cable tv and phone services. The CRTC has recently allowed ISPs to charge higher prices to Internet users who use a lot of bandwidth which means those who watch videos, use Skype, download photos, play games etc.

skieur

Last edited:
Yessir!

I saw a chart that demonstrated Rwanda had cheaper cellphone data rates. lol

Ah well! hopefully things work out with your Insurance and the rest of your move goes smoothly.

Thanks, altitude, as long as the weather co-operates in snow country.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back