considering my options

lukeS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to photography.I bought a Nikon D60 off of my friend. I unfortunately live in Michigan, so the current weather is very inconvenient to shoot in. I have bought a few books, such as Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and the first edition of the step by step books Scott Kelby offers. I also browse forums, watch youtube videos, and whatever else I can to learn about photography. I understand the best way to learn, is to get out and shoot, but with the current weather situation it is difficult. I know Scott Kelby offers online classes for like 25 bucks a month. Does anyone have any experience with these? are they worth it? I want to learn as much as I can so when the weather gets better, I can go out and enjoy myself.

Can you shoot indoors?

Why do you have to go outside to shoot anything? People are always of the opinion that the subjects that they need to shoot are somewhere that they aren't. Subjects are all around you, all you have to do is separate them from the clutter in your mind. What's wrong with that little glass nick-nack sitting on the shelf in the living room? Or the salt shaker on the dining room table? Or the way the shaft of sunlight is coming through that window? I was once taught that no matter WHERE you are at any given moment there is an excellent photograph right where you are standing. All you have to do is find it.

I definitely can shoot in my house, I just am very in to urban photography.

Years ago there was a very wonderful Portfolio of images taken in a cabin that had gotten snowed in, nothing about the outside appeared.

I understand you have a new camera and perhaps you knowledge is limited but don't let that stop you from thinking outside the box and just fire away trying to be as creative as you can image.

Professional take more bad photos than most people think or can image, they do so, because they aren't afraid to fail and are not afraid to experiment.

I live up in Northern Michigan. Yes it's cold out but the weather has been pretty nice lately as long as it's not snowing or raining, I was even able to go out yesterday and get some shots and today has been pretty nice. Don't be afraid to go out in the cold the camera can take it. Just take as many pictures as you can and learn all the functions of the camera :)

i still try and shoot as much as i can. I was really just curious to see if kelby training is worth the money

I have a Kelby account and, to me, it's worth it. I've been shooting for over 40 years, but there are so many diverse subjects and skill levels on the Kelby site that you're sure to find plenty suitable to your skill level and desire to learn, no matter what. Beyond camera and light control, there's plenty to learn about post processing on the site, and that's just as important a part of the photographic process as learning to control the camera and scene well.

I'm also a Michigan resident. I live North of Gaylord, though I've been in the Detroit / Ann Arbor area for the past month for health reasons. So, I know what you mean about how the Michigan winter climate can tend to keep you indoors. Still, there are windows and porches to shoot from, and plenty of stuff around the house as well.

All that stuff around the house is actually great for practice, because it gives you an opportunity to set up shots and light them more intentionally and learn about composition, lighting, shadows and processing - all stuff that will be good to be able to do more on the fly when the warm weather returns you to the stuff you like to shoot more. Find ways to make simple objects interesting by shooting them a hundred different ways, in different light, from different angles and views, etc. With digital, it's free to shoot all you want, delete hundreds of shots every day, and learn like crazy, so take advantage of it.

In the end, have FUN with it, and you can't go wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back