Considering reflectors

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been considering a reflector for use in my lighting setups (at the moment dominated by a single flash with diffuser). My primary work for this will be macro and the odd portrait as well.
With this in mind I have looked at the smaller sized reflectors - easier to move around with and not to tricky for smaller areas. I have also decided to go for one of the 5 in 1 setups to give me more creative options with the light.

So now comes choice time - firstly do people think this reflector here:
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Photographic-Light-Reflector-Translucent/dp/B000RGXA2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241534269&sr=8-2]Ex-Pro 5 -in- 1 Photographic Light Reflector - 23": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
will do the job well enough without either being to smaller or big for my needs - and further if there is any handy setup to hold it by when I don't have an assitant (which is going to be pretty much all the time!) I have considered the plamp from Wimberley
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Plamp
though it seems to be best used to grip to a tripod rather than direct to camera - is there any similat Quote this post · Mark as helpful
attachment that might connect say to the screw thread on a camera?

I most allways use a reflector with flash. Most often its ANYTHING white. A wall, foamcore board , paper , t-shirt, ect.

Just improvise.

My suggestion would be to play with using white foamcore board before you spend on a reflector, simply because it will give you an idea of what you need/want and is really really cheap. Indeed, depending on your application, foamcore might suit your needs and save a lot of money. At the same time, it's easier to use in that it's easy to prop up, so you can put off buying a clamp sort of deal.

If you've already done this, ignore me. I think that reflector you've got there will do a fine job. I'm not very familar with the clip/clamp thing you're looking at, but my very initial reaction is to get your reflector and figure out how you want to use it before spending on a rather specialized clamp thing.

Umm off the top for macro. I would get one piece of foam board from local craft store ( about $3.00 ) and use stick poked in the ground. Clamp it on with binder clips. ( $5.00 office supply )

When I do macro field work, I take an 8x10 cut-out left over from a matting project (preferably with a black side), and I'll take that 8x10 piece and cut a piece of tin foil.
Loosly crunch up the tin foil, unfold and place over the piece of mat board. It works really well if you are in deep and dense woods (it gives you a little more light boost than white). It's cheap and disposable (if you don't want to carry it with you or it get crudded up, just chuck it into the trash can) and fits in the outside pocket of my bag.

I carry a Plamp with me so that when using my tripod, I just extend the Plamp and attach my reflector to the end clamp. If I'm at ground level, I just prop it up against something or use sticks pushed into the ground.

The other plus is that you can make it any size you want it to be.

Thanks for the ideas all - certainly something to work with!
I have also been considering a smaller reflector (certainly custom) to attach to the bottom of my lenshood - then angle it to reflect light up to give some lighting to the underside of my shots (since the rest of my light is generaly comming from above).

Out of interest does anyone know of a plamp like device that is made to attach to the camera direct (say through the tripod screw thread). I ask as whilst hte plamp is good its more for a tripod with its main gripper - and whilst I am not opposed to tripod shooting the majority of my work is done handheld

Most reactions

New Topics

Back