Considering Upgrading to a Canon 30D

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hi Everyone!

I'm considering upgrading to a 30D as my 350D cant keep up to the sport photos as slightly slow. Plus about time I upgraded. What are people's opinions on this camera?

hot shot said:
erm you do know the 30d can only shoot up to 5fps
Considering he's shooting with a rebel...

There's a world of difference in fps, AF and shutter lag between the 2 cameras. Buy it if you need it.

The will be no difference in image quality though.

I am personally holding out for something with 45 AF points, sealed body and full frame. A few market analysts have suggested that this year will be the largest in DSLR sales after which a relative saturation point will be reached. This kinda makes sense, 300D and 10D from 5? years ago produce ALMOST as good a picture as the current 30D. At least at ISO 400<

So hopefully the price for a FF body will be less than 2K$ sometime in 2007

Until then the my high ISO digital pics will have "character" to them. :mrgreen: :wink:

Do you mean that camera can't take enough shots per second?
or are your shutter speeds to slow?
or is there too much camera lag?
or are your reflexes too slow? :lol:

Be careful about upgrading the body because it may be your lenses. In that case you'll be back where you started but with a more expensive body.
Have you tried increasing the ISO and widneing the aperture? Unless it's the fps you want increased, I'll be surprised if it's the camera body that's too slow.
If the Doc is right then i'd say that 5fps is among the fastest you'll get without going mental on your budget.

Well, I personally think its okay but people have turned me down for jobs such as london marathon because apparently my equipment is too slow and they reccomended the 20D at least. Which i can only see the fps is different between the two cameras.

Daniel said:
The 20D can fire at 1/8000 as opposed to 1/4000 of the 350D

yea but im shooting 300mph dragsters and dont go anly lower than 1/100th

erm what about just buying a 30d badge lie or also do the old yea ma 1d is broken so im using my 350d today once you are there there's not tooo much there going to do bout it ???

cbay said:
Well, I personally think its okay but people have turned me down for jobs such as london marathon because apparently my equipment is too slow and they reccomended the 20D at least. Which i can only see the fps is different between the two cameras.
Once you start shooting with XXD body, you'll see that the "shutter lag" makes a lot of difference.

You have to feel it for yourself - it makes for easier action shooting. With XT and 300D it's really noticeable. With 1D or nikon F6 the shutters feel differently. It's both the combination of the very smooth shutter release button and fast shutter.

With the rebels it's slow, the sound like "teee-chee-pok" Three stage long shutter.

With the "sports" bodies you start pressing the shutter and you'll hear a very short "chirp" and might not realise you're actually taken a picture.

It's so much easier to capture the action with that.

Also:
AF is better
Metal body
Brighter viewfinder
Spot metering
ISO 3200

fps - the rebel actually has like 2.2 or 2.5 fps. Canon just rounded it up. 20D is actually 5 and when bursting... the difference is huge.

But 20/30D are just pickles. They don't really AF nicely compared to 1D bodies. :p

hot shot said:
erm what about just buying a 30d badge lie or also do the old yea ma 1d is broken so im using my 350d today once you are there there's not tooo much there going to do bout it ???
That'll get you fired fast. :lol:

You shouldn't even touch rebels if you're a pro action photog

just out of intrest gess the camera used
twin%20hell%20large.jpg

there are doing about 90mph 0.8 seconds after starting

HotShot! I photograph @ Santa Pod too! I know the speeds and my 350D Kept up with it. But I still think i should upgrade its bout time i did anyhow, or maybe i should wait a little longer and save for a 1D or sumthing.

hot shot said:
yea but im shooting 300mph dragsters and dont go anly lower than 1/100th

I was responding to cbays post above mine about the only difference being FPS.

In sports photography fast shutter speeds can be important. Maybe not in racing but in sports photography like football or w/e it can be.

cbay said:
I know the speeds and my 350D Kept up with it.

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

I had a Digital Rebel with 2.5fps (4 frames max) and now have a 20D (5fps 23 frames max) and i really noticed the difference when shooting my mate rallying. if that's what you mean by too slow then the only way to increase that is to upgrade. Depending on the use of the shots you're taking, do oyu need top quality?
Try reducing the quality of the shots and you might find the burst will extend beyond 4 frames but it'll never get faster than 2.5fps

Incidentally - in a 20D if you select "jpeg" and the quality setting one below the top, you can shoot 5fps indefinitely - until the card is full of the battery dies.

hot shot said:
just out of intrest gess the camera used
A non-DS! :mrgreen:

Probably a point and shoot! :lol: :thumbup: With .8 second shutter lag! You had to stand 40 meters from the start line and press the button when the "pistol goes off"! (sorry, never been to... and sorry again :D don't know what this sport is called either) hahaha

For the argument sake, you'd take it with a pinhole just to make a point to some guy from toronto.

Most reactions

Back