Consumer scanning v. Lab CD-ROM - what's best for uploading photos

kubrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I use Pentax and Mamiya film cameras. I would like to post some of my images on one of the online hosting services. I have been experimenting with scanning prints with my consumer scanner (Canoscan LiDE 60). The quality seems okay for colour scans but the black-and-white scans I'm having less success with. Would it be a better option to get my negatives converted to digital files and supplied on a CD-ROM, instead of using a D+P service (I always use mail order labs).
Thanks for any advice you can give.

you could also try a proper film scanner. works fine for negatives, both colour, and as far as i know also B&W. At least if you need lots of scans it can be worth the investment.

some of them can even scan whole rolls of 35mm film in one go. but those are quite expensive.

on the consumer market i would reccommend the Nikon scanners (5000 ED for 35mm and the 9000 ED for medium format).... but depending on your needs also a slower scanner with a lower resolution and smaller dynamical range might do the job (cheaper).

I actually managed to fiddle about with the settings on my scanner and I posted the results here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97204657@N00/

Any comments on any aspect of these photos would be great.
Also, if anyone else is on flickr give me a shout and I will take a look at your photos and add you as a contact (not sure how it all works yet)

And why does my text size vary ?????? what's going on

if you just want to post images online a standard scan from a minilab should be sufficient anything more you can ask for a high resolution scan some labs can do that for your film

Most reactions

New Topics

Back