Contact printing 4x5 negatives.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 4x5 view camera that I would like to play with.

I also have the Kodak contact printing box my uncle used it the 1940 and 50's. It is basically a light box with a glass top and cover, and a white 10 watt bulb inside.

You place the negative on the glass, place the paper on the negative, latch the lid shut, turn on the bulb for a specific time period then develop the picture.

My question is, what kind of contrast do you get from variable contact paper with a simple white 10 watt bulb?

Contrast will depend on the paper you use. You can get paper in one contrast, or get polycontrast paper and use filters to adjust the contrast.

Hi, I'm going to say about #2 grade. That is per ilford with regard to dichroic filters at 0 in an enlarger. Of course it depends largely on the negative. I have seen 6in square poly contrast filters but I don't know if they work well in contact or if they are even still being sold. Anyway, have fun.

I use Ilford Multigrade RC glossy for my contact prints. Without filter that paper is grade 2.

As others have noted, without a filter variable contrast papers should be close to a grade #2. With contact printing that will be a bit lower. The assumption in grading papers is for projection printing as opposed to contact printing. Projection printing raises contrast either a little (diffuse light source (cold light head)) or quite a bit (focused light source (condenser lens head)). Replace projection-through-a-lens with contact printing and the contrast goes down.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back