Contests

ChristopherGrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.projectgrant.com
Heyas!

I like the contests sections quite a bit and simply put, I'd like to see more of them and perhaps 2 contests at any one time. My only real reason for this is that I'd like to enter more contests here but often don't due to the subject matter being either too far away from my own subject matter or simply not being in a country where I can enter with any confidence. This past month's halloween theme put me out of the race as Halloween isn't exactly a big thing where I live! Darn. I'll have to work on the Danish people here and help them see the light of festivities!

Just a thought... hope it helps!

Hey Christopher,

Sorry you haven't felt that you've been able to participate in the challenges. You still can participate in the Halloween challenge though. Just because the Danish people don't do Halloween doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of creepy or scary subject matter over there.

When we started the photo forum challenge we were doing it every two weeks. It proved a little hectic so we started doing it monthly, but unfortunately hasn't been a lot of participation in the last few challenges. I don't believe that adding more challenges is the answer if people aren't participating.

It could very well be that the subject matter hasn't interested a lot of people and that's too bad. I've been trying to take requests for topics and subjects from those who've won previous challenges. Seeing as though we're not giving away any prizes for the challenges I thought the least I could do was ask the winners what they would like to see for future challenges.

I think what I'm going to have to do for the next challenge is to try a more technical route. Some people said that they would like to see something fun and I thought the Halloween subject would be something fun. I'm hoping if we try something more technical it may bring in more people. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

TwistMyArm said:
Seeing as though we're not giving away any prizes for the challenges I thought the least I could do was ask the winners what they would like to see for future challenges.

I know that quote is a bit old, and that you guys have given away a sponsored prize since then, and I think that could be a way to get more interest in the contests.

I did read one contest and was interested in participating but it slipt my mind *is getting more and more forgetful*. And this months "new" theme im still not sure on what to take pictures of to send in.

Is there a way to get more sponsored prizes? Something that would be more applicable to all the forum users, thats not location specific. It was great to see a Canadian sponsor, but I doubt people in denmark would take advantage of the prize due to shipping costs being more than what it would cost to get stuff printend in thier home country. :0).

Some prizes that come to mind would be free image hosting for X number of megabytes and unlimited bandwidth on your server for a month, or a photography magazine mailed to the winner or something. Something that woudlnt cost the photo forum very much.

:0). Just some thoughts.

GerryDavid said:
Some prizes that come to mind would be free image hosting for X number of megabytes and unlimited bandwidth on your server for a month

Sounds fair to me, this will be offered to the winner of our January challenge. :)

As far as the "New" theme goes, just be as open and creative as possible with it. It could be a building being contructed, a baby, young animals, something freshly painted, new years celebrations...and on and on. Sometimes people love to see a theme taken in an unexpected direction as well. One example was during a previous contest with a "fireworks" theme, Manda submitted a shot of two people kissing. Definitely an interesting twist on the theme and a very creative way to participate!

Chase

Hey Gerry,

It's true that the prizes we were giving away were not of much value for many people in different parts of the world. That's why we've decided not too continue with the Coupons for Henrys.

The hosting idea is a good one and one that's been kicked around before. It looks like it'll be the prize for the January winner.

Good luck on the January challenge. Like Chase had mentioned, go out and try different things.
Take a lot of pictures and try not to think about what to shoot for this challenge. Maybe you'll come across something that you shot and say "hey, that'll work."

TwistMyArm said:
Hey Gerry,

It's true that the prizes we were giving away were not of much value for many people in different parts of the world. That's why we've decided not too continue with the Coupons for Henrys.

The hosting idea is a good one and one that's been kicked around before. It looks like it'll be the prize for the January winner.

Good luck on the January challenge. Like Chase had mentioned, go out and try different things.
Take a lot of pictures and try not to think about what to shoot for this challenge. Maybe you'll come across something that you shot and say "hey, that'll work."

Ive already sent my picture in. :0) Unless yoru telling me this so I can pick a better picture *smirks*.

I've received a lot of submissions and I don't recall everyone who submitted. If you sent it today or late yesterday I may not have received it because my computer is currently not functioning.
None the less I'm glad to hear that you did get something submitted.

hows this for a silly idea for a contest:

have a weekly/monthly contest based on democracy.

a little button will appear for nominate photo of week/month in the 'post your photos here section'.

the photos with the most unique nominations wins, and the vice president will be the tie breaker (then again i don't know if i want dick cheney on this forum :p )

yeah, i know there are several programming nuances to work out that would make this difficult to accheive. but it think people will like it because they may get a surprise nomination, and it gets people involve who otherwise wouldn't be involved.

just a silly thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back