Continuing 35mm Film Availability

dinodan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the proud owner of 2 film Nikons (and insanely considering the purchase of a third, as prices are so low), as well as a vintage 35, what are the prevailing thoughts and conventional wisdom on the continued availability of 35mm film in the coming years?

Well in the short term at least, I'm still confident that I'll be able to get Fuji and Ilford... sometimes it may be a case of waiting for a batch (as is the case with Ilford SFX 200), and most likely you'll be buying online instead of in stores... but I don't think availability will be a real problem, although you might not be able to get it as cheap as is often possible now. Having said that, obviously I'm no business expert.

35mm will be around for a long time. There are some films that i'm currently hording, such as APX100, tech pan, and foma, all of which i can still purchase locally.

You don't have to worry about black and white or slide film going away in 35mm. Standard color negative may be a different story. If i had to bet, I'd say that would be the first to go.

35mm will be around for a long time. There are some films that i'm currently hording, such as APX100, tech pan, and foma, all of which i can still purchase locally.

You don't have to worry about black and white or slide film going away in 35mm. Standard color negative may be a different story. If i had to bet, I'd say that would be the first to go.

That would be fine with me. I use slide & B+W film almost exclusively. Plenty of room in the 'fridge.

Thanks for the input.

Now, about that F100...

I have a funny feeling that film is going to be with us for at least another 150 years. The people who are predicting the downfall of film tend to be the same folks who are pushing the newest Windows operating system on you. In other words, people who don't know film or who assume that the newest technology is always better. I just found a shipload of negatives that my Grandma took about 50 years ago. They were all in great shape and printable. Overall, the images looked great (all were shot with box cameras, one shooting 6x6 and the other 6x9) and it made me realize that this fact alone made film still viable. Where will our jpgs be in 50 years? Will your computer still be in use, will your picture floppy discs and cd's still be readable? I doubt it, and I'm sure that most of you do too. Digital is still in a state of infancy and presents us with a technology that still has plenty of bugs and shortcomings. I'm not saying that digital is bad; digital, like film, is only a tool.

Where do you get Tech Pan?

Dave

haha. want me to hook you up? I can get it in 35mm and 4x5...shoot me a pm.

My opinion is that it will be here for a very long time. It seems that as more and more people gain knowledge in the digital aspects of photography, there is a developing interest in how it was done in " the old days ". I think that I will always feel sort of a rush after waiting for some slides to get back to me.

Why would standard color negative be the first? I'm just curious because I'm still a noob and that's pretty much what I'm working with right now. I just purchased my first roll of Velvia and another of Ilford B&W but until recently I wasn't sure if my work was good enough to warrant the added expense of these specialty films. I'm sure you're not trying to be alarmist but I was curious as to your reasoning for that statement.

Why would standard color negative be the first? I'm just curious because I'm still a noob and that's pretty much what I'm working with right now. I just purchased my first roll of Velvia and another of Ilford B&W but until recently I wasn't sure if my work was good enough to warrant the added expense of these specialty films. I'm sure you're not trying to be alarmist but I was curious as to your reasoning for that statement.

Just guessing here, but I think Max's logic is that traditionally, most (I didn't say all) people who use 35 mm. color negative film are "point & shooters". These people are switching to digital point & shoot cameras, and demand for that type of film will drop precipitously. B+W and color slide film are used more by serious amateurs and pros, who are more likely to stick with film, to a certain extent.

Just guessing here, but I think Max's logic is that traditionally, most (I didn't say all) people who use 35 mm. color negative film are "point & shooters". These people are switching to digital point & shoot cameras, and demand for that type of film will drop precipitously. B+W and color slide film are used more by serious amateurs and pros, who are more likely to stick with film, to a certain extent.

In that case, might professional color print films stay on? I doubt that many point and shooters would use velvia or portra.

film will be available at least as long as we (and I include the youngest around) live. only that it will become more and more expensive and difficult to find, as it already is happening.

it is not simply a matter of digital getting the quality levels of film and therefore substituting it. Film is another thing, and there will always be people interested in using it, regardless of whether they shoot digital as well.

did cd's anihilate vinyl? no, only that it became something for a minority of people. There's a different taste in playing a vinyl than a cd (not to mention having it in your hands and seeing the cover art). Some people (and I include myself) do care about that taste, that feeling, and thus vinyl continues. Of course, most consumers, and the market as such, is now cd, but vinyl exists.

The same with film. You may convince me that digital is far better than film, but how about the feeling of loading the film, then developing it, etc? There is no darkroom for digital (well, it is inside your computer...), and darkroom itself implies another conception of photography that many won't forget just because the quality of digital is just as good or even better than that of film.

by the way, another discussion, which I might start one of these days, would be the differences of the image produced by digital and film. 'cause there are differences...!

in my mind, film and digital are two completely different animals. I see no reason why film can't continue. The images I take with film seem more personal and methodical.

Most reactions

Back