Contract Question - Social Networking

Ash1ey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I wanted to get some feedback on this: I am thinking about adding a statement in my contracts that says something to the effect of "any images posted to the client's personal site/social networking page must contain photographers' logo."

I provide clients with a DVD of finished images (this is included in my package pricing). However, I know that posting images on social sites, Facebook, etc. is big, and I have no problem with that... I would just like to see my name associated with the images I've taken if they are going to do that.

What do you all think? Is this OK to include, even though I give my clients a disc of images?

Thanks! :wink:

Personally i would charge them extra for web usage

My friend is an ameture model

she isn't allowed to use any images on myspace or facebook until the photographer / Director tells her which ones she can use.

One thing I have seen done more and more is that the photog has a fan page, and then puts up selected images on facebook (as well as on their blog). Then they tag everyone, and encourage others to tag anyone they know as well.

This goes around the problem by having pictures from the event online with your logo on it, which often makes it so that the client will just use those pictures on their Facebook, rather than uploading all of the rest of them.

It also makes it so that you can be sure that her friends will see her pictures and know they are yours.

Well, to go back and answer your question, I think you could add that, but I have no idea how you would ever enforce it. Most likely it's not something that is enforceable at all without looking like a jacka$$.

They might put other images up... but, by then you would have your images up there first, and then a couple weeks later (or however long it takes you to get the images done) the couple would put theirs up. Most likely all the friends have already seen your images, and the drive to look through hundreds of others that the couple put up is pretty slim.

Another option I have seen people do is give the DVD with 2 folders. 1 has TIFF's with no watermarks or logo's because the images are huge. Facebook won't import them unless the couple goes in and resizes them. The other folder has Jpeg's just like the ones you've already posted on FBook for FB and myspace etc.

My guess is that as long as your logo is not too distracting they would take the easier route and just put up the ones from the FB folder

I agree with Nate, think about selling your clients two sets of images. One set is the full size images for printing and one set is resized, web-ready images with watermarks. Make sure to clearly label & name the files so the client won't mess it up.

I agree with Nate, think about selling your clients two sets of images. One set is the full size images for printing and one set is resized, web-ready images with watermarks. Make sure to clearly label & name the files so the client won't mess it up.
DITTO.... EXCEPT people today are much more computer/photoshop savvier then they were about 5-6 yrs ago thus your watermark can #1 be erased and what prevents them from using your HIGH RES images from being posted.
Unfortunately, unless you don't give out CD/DVD with images or give out low res with watermark there is no way you can control it. Just have to trust them and hope that efforts you put in will get passed on by word-of-mouth to the next potential client.

DITTO.... EXCEPT people today are much more computer/photoshop savvier then they were about 5-6 yrs ago thus your watermark can #1 be erased and what prevents them from using your HIGH RES images from being posted.
Unfortunately, unless you don't give out CD/DVD with images or give out low res with watermark there is no way you can control it. Just have to trust them and hope that efforts you put in will get passed on by word-of-mouth to the next potential client.

You are right, if they wanted to spend the time to get rid of the watermarks they absolutely could.

But, why with my method would they go to all that trouble? I mean, it would be easier just to take all of the TIFF's and save them as little JPEG's, and they can go from there.

Rather than trying to make it so the client can't do something (cause they will figure a way around it) we can just make it much easier for them to achieve what they want our way.

We have the ones with our logo's prepped, so they can just upload them right away. Their other alternative is to change each file type and size them down, (or go with your ridiculously time consuming method and erase/clone out the water marks).

I would suggest that unless you have a really obstructive watermark they wouldn't go to the trouble in order to post the images without the watermark.

Personally? I just ask that they mention me when they post the photos or link to my site. It is a fine line to walk and you don't want to look like a jerk by stumbing across one without your watermark and having to say, "Hey! I told you to use my watermark!" I think that if you ask "nicely" (don't laugh, haha) you will get a good result.

My portrait packages include watermarked "teaser" photos. 5 for a portrait session, and 10 for a wedding. I post them on facebook, tag the idividuals, and tell them to share them as they wish. I do also send out an email stating that they are for online sharing only, and may not be reproduced. If they would like to purchase a hogh quaility, high res print, or a digital file, they can do so through my website at www.blahblahblah.com

Seems to be working so far. The clients LOVE it (I usually upload at least 1 or 2 within 24 hours) and the set within 4 days. They share them, freinds see them, my group members see and comment on them, and I book more jobs everytime.

Ashley-
I have the same things happening. The coolest thing is that most girls (brides) and even people I do family sessions for know to at least give me some kudos when they put them up. Some don't, and the people that don't are usually the classless kind. (harsh!?) but regardless, I always upload my favorites of each shoot and tag the person in them. typically this works wonders because my images have my watermark or are tagged to me. This doesn't prevent them from using them as a profile photo, and then cropping my watermark out. It's a win/lose.

:) best of luck!

Most reactions

Back