Convince me not to get a D600

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the next week or so I'm going to be upgrading my gear.:D

I currently have a D7000 (with a grip), a 50mm 1.8, a 70-300, and an 18-55. I have been looking around and reading up, and I think I'm going to buy the D600 with the 24-85 kit lens. I figure the D600 is very similar to the 7000, so I wouldn't have to re learn the camera. Plus, I like the ergonomics of the 7000 and the D600 feels similar to me. I have also been in the market for a walkaround lens, and I rather like the 24-85. However, a friend of mine suggests that I get the D700, which is much more expensive. I don't want to spend much more than the cost of the D600 kit. Any thoughts?

There are STILL some D700's around for $2199...if you really want to buy an older, 12 MP FF D700, you can buy one for $2199 in a secondary market. But seriously, I would NOT buy a D700 when the D600 is here, with a much better sensor, higher rez, and a decent price. Yes, the new 24-85 seems to be a good walk-around focal length range. I have the earlier 24-85 AF-S...it *is* a handy length on FX.

DO NOT PAY more than $2199 for a new D700!!!!

There are STILL some D700's around for $2199...if you really want to buy an older, 12 MP FF D700, you can buy one for $2199 in a secondary market. But seriously, I would NOT buy a D700 when the D600 is here, with a much better sensor, higher rez, and a decent price. Yes, the new 24-85 seems to be a good walk-around focal length range. I have the earlier 24-85 AF-S...it *is* a handy length on FX.

These were my thoughts as well. The D600 is a VERY reasonable price for a fullframe, and it's more current technology. Heck, we shoot D5100's at work sometimes because the sensor is fabulous. I have considered just buying the D600 body and finding the older 24-85, how do you like it?

Definitely D600 IQ should be better than D700 IQ (more modern sensor). (I own D700 currently).

You need a d600. None of your photos going fwd will be any good if you don't get one. You will feel sad when you look at everyone elses photos because you know that without a d600 you cannot be on the same level. The measure of a good photographer is hoe technically modern their gear is. Buy one right now. Stop reading this thread you are using valuable time when you could be taking photos with a d600

jaomul said:
You need a d600. None of your photos going fwd will be any good if you don't get one. You will feel sad when you look at everyone elses photos because you know that without a d600 you cannot be on the same level. The measure of a good photographer is hoe technically modern their gear is. Buy one right now. Stop reading this thread you are using valuable time when you could be taking photos with a d600

Are you for real right now!? Your telling me that you can look at a picture and tell what was used. You really dont know what make a good photographer do you? I'm sorry but that was the dumbest advice I ever heard of. People can use a older camera and out perform someone with new gear.

Why do you want to go FX? why not just get a walk around DX lens?

Patriot said:
Are you for real right now!? Your telling me that you can look at a picture and tell what was used. You really dont know what make a good photographer do you? I'm sorry but that was the dumbest advice I ever heard of. People can use a older camera and out perform someone with new gear.

Relax, man. He was being sarcastic.

timethief said:
Why do you want to go FX? why not just get a walk around DX lens?

That's what I did. 24-120 F4 is a fantastic walk around lens on the D7000. Gripped its well balanced to me.

Are you for real right now!? Your telling me that you can look at a picture and tell what was used. You really dont know what make a good photographer do you? I'm sorry but that was the dumbest advice I ever heard of. People can use a older camera and out perform someone with new gear.[/QUOTE]

not everyone needs lol's and smileys to know the story

Hey TEVO,

Your thread title is 'Convince me NOT to get a D600'. Ok, here goes: the D600 is by all accounts a very nice camera, all the latest releases are, aren't they? But so is your D7000. It has a nice feature set, has excellent iso capabilities and has plenty of resolution. I'm not sure the D600 brings anything significantly different to the table other than sensor size. Still the D600 is not a bad piece of kit. However, I'd spend the cash burning a hole in your wallet on glass right now. Since you have a really good body already, moving up from kit lenses is not a bad idea at this point. How about a decent flash and tripod to add some capability to your kit?

Anyway, you'll do what you want to do, we all do. Have fun.

One thing to consider is the amount of negative reviews the camera is getting due to spots on the sensor. It seems it is prone to spots on the left side of the sensor. I want the D600 just as bad as the next guy, but that is something I am/would be concerned about.

These were my thoughts as well. The D600 is a VERY reasonable price for a fullframe, and it's more current technology. Heck, we shoot D5100's at work sometimes because the sensor is fabulous. I have considered just buying the D600 body and finding the older 24-85, how do you like it?

I bought it based on this review: Nikon 24-85mm AF-S Nikkor review by Thom Hogan

Since that time, this review has appeared: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

Doo%20it.gif

Most reactions

Back