Convince me to switch to Canon

The older I get the more I realize that a camera is a camera. I've said it before I will get what ever camera suits my needs the best. It could be a Pentax but as long as it did what I need it to do I am happy.

Jk I'd never buy a Pentax.

The older I get the more I realize that a camera is a camera. I've said it before I will get what ever camera suits my needs the best. It could be a Pentax but as long as it did what I need it to do I am happy.

Jk I'd never buy a Pentax.

Not even a Pentax 645Z medium format digital SLR? 51 megapixels of luscious medium format juiciness! No?

Ok, so you might not "buy" the Pentax... but if someone gave you one, I suspect you'd try to hold back on just pitching it in the trash.

I reiterate my point. ^this is a nikon user.

Now don't you want to switch?

THIS^^ [runnah] is a recent convert to Canon, and he's a former Nikon user...

You know how they say,"There's nobody more insufferable than an ex- cigarette smoker?"

I was for six years, a dual-system owner, with $10,000 worth of Canon gear in addition to three decades' worth of Nikon gear...two Canon d-slr bodies with grips, three Canon L-lenses, some regular Canon primes, and two Sigma zooms....so...I actually KNOW what Canon is like from having spent over $10,000 of my own money, just to see if it could replace Nikon for my uses. It could not, really.

Yeah...Canon... They had a lead in digital imaging at one time, but they lost it when Nikon came out with the D3 generation of bodies. They might some day gain their lead back, but probably not until they can upgrade their sensor fabrication to something newer than the 50-micron process they are saddled with today, and have been for about a decade. That old-fashioned sensor technology is why Canon can't hit the 36-megpaixel threshold, and is stuck below 24 MP on every sensor size...old sensor technology...and ALL sensors fabricated by Canon...not the best producer, whoever that might be, but in-house... see the article linked to a few posts up, about Sony sensors...

Except that 36mp is not an advantage on a 24mm x 36mm sensor. The camera is diffraction limited by f/8 and I don't care what glass you put on. That's physics... not opinion.

I usually agree with and often got good advice reading your posts. This argument is weak though. All my lenses and most I know open up more than f8. A lot of creative photos are taken in the f1.2 to f8 settings on a lens, where 36mp is more resolution than 24mp. Whether you need 36 is another matter

Not even a Pentax 645Z medium format digital SLR? 51 megapixels of luscious medium format juiciness! No? Ok, so you might not "buy" the Pentax... but if someone gave you one, I suspect you'd try to hold back on just pitching it in the trash.

I am a man of my word!

But you are welcome to send me one to test the theory. ;)

Both are great and will continue to play the one-over the other tech game until another OEM grabs meaningful marketshare. As far as I can tell the choice is a personal one and to completely switch interface standards for one or two "better" features is fruitless over the longer term. I chose Canon because my friend had a Canon to loan to me when I was getting started. Once I decided to buy my own gear it was natural to stick with Canon...no other reason...I could have easily been a Nikon user.

Although you do get a lot of stares with the white lenses....makes up for a lot (or a little)....

Good luck..

JJ

I've had this conversation with some photographer friends recently, and I'm interested to hear you all weigh in on it. I shoot Nikon because I find the build quality to be superb, I love the feel of the cameras in my hand, and I love Nikon optics. However, there are drawbacks as there are on any system, and I have had Canonites point out things like color reproduction/skin tones that are different among the two. So, set aside the fact that I am already heavily invested in Nikon, and set aside the fact that it is the photographer not the camera that makes good photos, why should I switch to Canon? Convince me.

Generally I like the fit of Canon products, in my hand, better than the feel of Nikon products. I can't think of a single reason you should change if Nikon gear is doing what you need it to do and you are comfortable with it.

Change is inevitable, but we only appreciate it when we perceive it as change for the better.

I chose Nikon because I had a history with Nikon way back in the pre-digital days. As a professional musician I use the same judgement I used in choosing instruments. As a tool, it has to feel good in my hands and express the images I see in my head just as I used to produce the music I heard in my head.

Most reactions

Back