Cooking Theme

morydd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.morydd.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this picture for a photo contest at LibraryThing But I think it needs help. I know the backdrop looks bad, but cannot decide if it needs to be more wrinkled (bunched up and textured) or as smooth as I can get it.

Setup was lights from about 45 degrees to the front on each side and one above (cliplights with 60W bulbs, they're what I've got) then flash at 1/2 power and CTO gel on camera bounced off the celing.

Any ideas for getting more books into the images without losing the concept would be appreciated too.

exif info:
Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 21 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 96 dpi
Y-Resolution: 96 dpi
Color Space: sRGB
Contrast: High
Saturation: High
Sharpness: High
Metering Mode: Evaluative
Canon Exposure Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
Lens: 18 - 55mm
ISO: 400
Measured LV: 0
Flash Guide Number: 2047.96875

Well, as you are replacing the food with cookbooks, why not add a few pans or plate? Or even a glass? You could do a whole table full. Maybe even hands in the shot, just about to serve up a new cookbook-dish?

I like the idea

pascal

For a sense of proportion, the skillet in the photo is 14" in diameter, wieghs about 15lbs. empty, the knife is an 8" chef's knife, and the fork and spoon are serving utensils. I think I have a straight sided vase that could be a glass.

Maybe I could have someone holding the knife and fork that would show the proportions as well as give it a kind of "Dig In" feeling.

As you test each recipe you could send us samples for our comments.....

I'll supply my address when you're ready....:D :D

well, i indend to try to help :)

1. i think you picked the wrong color of backdrop for this.
You have red books and a red cloth (at least on my monitor)
this kinda blends in and leads my eyes away from the subject.

2. This is a really wierd angle.
the books look like it was shot straight on where as the pan and fork and knife look as if shot from an angle, I think because the backdrop is similar to the books this gives the picture a sort of unreal look. what you end up with is something that looks like a bad photoshop job, as in you put books from one picture on top of a pan from another and the angle in the two pictures didnt quite match up.

3. I dont like the lighting (this is a personal problem) Im not usually a fan of difuse lighting and i like well defined shadows, That being said, the lighting feels weak. The colors seem a little dull which probably comes from the color of the light used. maybe try white balance or a different source of light. I would try less difuse light, maybe a happy medium between direct and diffuse? I would also try to get the colors to pop a little more. more vibant and glossy....if that makes sence

I think that the idea here is really good, I also think there are a couple things to change, The backdrop could work as either a really wrinkeled cloth or one of those smooth deals but has to be another color then red. Maybe change the angle so the books and pan are more on the same angle and try getting the colors to pop more. maybe a less straight on angle? so you could play with DoF or something like that.
anyway...i hope this doesnt sound harsh...if i were to be talking i would be talking in a soothing voice, I hope this helps :)

As you test each recipe you could send us samples for our comments.....
Well... we haven't updated recently, but my wife and I do have a food blog at http://food.morydd.net That's about as close as we get to free samples.

1. i think you picked the wrong color of backdrop for this.
You have red books and a red cloth (at least on my monitor)
this kinda blends in and leads my eyes away from the subject.
Yeah, I've got a limited supply of bedsheets to work with :) I don't have white. Maybe I'll see if I can find one. I've got a green and a navy, but I'm afraid the pan would get lost. Hmmm. Good point about the red on red though.
2. This is a really wierd angle.
the books look like it was shot straight on where as the pan and fork and knife look as if shot from an angle, I think because the backdrop is similar to the books this gives the picture a sort of unreal look. what you end up with is something that looks like a bad photoshop job, as in you put books from one picture on top of a pan from another and the angle in the two pictures didnt quite match up.
Yeah, the angle of the books in the pan is pretty much parallel to the camera, so that's where that effect is coming from. Maybe shooting from a lower angle would help.
3. I dont like the lighting (this is a personal problem) Im not usually a fan of difuse lighting and i like well defined shadows, That being said, the lighting feels weak. The colors seem a little dull which probably comes from the color of the light used. maybe try white balance or a different source of light. I would try less difuse light, maybe a happy medium between direct and diffuse? I would also try to get the colors to pop a little more. more vibant and glossy....if that makes sence
Actually, part of the reason the colors of the books are dull is because the colors of the books are dull. Except for one, I think all of those books are at least 25 years old. And they've been used most of that time. I think the bright red backdrop though may be overwhelming them. Another reason to change that.
anyway...i hope this doesnt sound harsh...if i were to be talking i would be talking in a soothing voice, I hope this helps :)
If I didn't want the critique, I'd wouldn't have posted it on this board. Thanks, it's actually very helpful. Probably won't have a chance to reshoot tonight, but please keep any suggestions coming

Most reactions

Back