Cool Opportunity for Photos

ShooterJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys and gals,

Just found out I have an opportunity to spend a couple of days getting shots of a civil war reenactment in November.

Obviously I've got some time to be ready for it, so any tips that you can offer that would help me make the most of an event like this?

Feel free to offer equipment and shooting tips, as I have the time to maybe collect a few things.

Thanks!

Tell them to add lots of flash powder to their fake cannon explosion pyrotechnics, and then you can use that for fill light.

LOL.. Hey, if you fellas don't mind using more pyrotechnics around hundreds of people in fields full of dry Oklahoma grass, I'd really appreciate it. We'll get some great shots!

This should be fairly simple stuff; wide to medium tele glass, shoot on shutter priority at a good speed to freeze movement and eliminate motion blur when you're shooting long glass, and look for the locations that will provide the interesting shots. You'll want to see faces, not backs of heads.

This should be fairly simple stuff; wide to medium tele glass, shoot on shutter priority at a good speed to freeze movement and eliminate motion blur when you're shooting long glass, and look for the locations that will provide the interesting shots. You'll want to see faces, not backs of heads.

Cool, thanks. I'm not figuring on needing any special equipment.. things will be shifting around a lot and so will I. But I'll certainly keep the angles in mind.

I plan on shooting everything in RAW.. all color. But this also sounds like a good chance to play with some B&W conversions in post ... maybe even add grain and play with some "vintage" looks.

I don't know what gear you have, you could rent an extra body/lens(es).

Sounds like a blast.

LOL.. Hey, if you fellas don't mind using more pyrotechnics around hundreds of people in fields full of dry Oklahoma grass, I'd really appreciate it. We'll get some great shots!

We're not in a drought anymore Shooter, so it'll be fine. More powder, more powder.....

I don't know what gear you have, you could rent an extra body/lens(es).

Sounds like a blast.

Yeah I've considered renting when it comes around. I'm using a t3i but I've just got the 18-55mm kit and the 55-250mm.. so I may want to at least rent some better glass, if I haven't bought something new by then.

And yes, it'll be a lot of fun I think. It's being put on by The Oklahoma Historical Society .. they're reenacting the battle of Honey Springs.

Most reactions

Back