Cool things you wouldn't do if it wasn't for photography

Fall down a whole flight of stairs because my hands were busy keeping my camera safe, and couldn't break my fall. Except there wasn't a photo in that... So, uh...

Interact with children, a little... And lie in awkward positions, in public places.

Coolest thing so far that I've done because of photography is sit ringside at the Elite XC MMA fights. An opportunity I would never have had if not for my job.

There's a lot of things I would have never done if it wasn't for photography.

I've been arrested, harassed, assaulted, yelled at, banned from places, almost run over, and best of all, divorced because of photography.

On the plus side of things, I have been invited to numerous events that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to attend, had a couple photos published in the local newspaper, and I've even gotten paid for some of my photos. I've been recognized by a few "famous" people, have many photos to help remind me of fond memories in greater detail than I would have if I didn't take so many pictures, and also lost about 60 pounds because I never sit home bored and wondering what to do.

And the 2 very best things, I met my current fiancee, and I got divorced. :lol:

I'm sure there are many more things I can't think of right now, but it's almost 5am, and I'm tired. It's probably because I slept in today, because I was up late last night, taking pictures. ;)

well, i wouldnt have found this forum and so wouldnt have gone to a certain meetup in Germany
Also, i wouldnt have paid attention to all the cool little bugs that i never noticed.
And last but not least, i wouldnt have gone to a birds of prey demo some years ago. If i wouldnt have gone there, i wouldnt have had the chance to do my internship there. That was the best internship ever. Working with birds of prey really was an awesome experience.

Get close to dangerous wild animals: crocs, bears etc.
Hang out of open cockpit airplanes
Go down into 4 foot high mine shafts (claustrophic)
Go out in minus 40 degree winter weather or in the pouring rain or other storms.
Meet a few celebrities
Get my clothes very dirty.
Climb over a barb wire fence into a property protected by dobermans
Go flying down a downhill on cross country skis carrying equipment
Climbing up a canyon wall at age 12
Being in the middle of a buffalo herd that was close to stampeding due to an idiot on a motorcycle.
Being in the middle of a herd of reindeer on a frozen lake at night during extremely cold temperatures.
Getting lost on skis during minus 20 degrees with an added windchill
for 7 hours

Thats all I remember for now.

skieur

Sunrises in wonderful places like Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Zion, Yosemite, Lake Mead, Sedona, and countless other natural wonders in desert and mountain locations. And best of all, many of them with my grandchildren.

Sunrises in wonderful places like Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Zion, Yosemite, Lake Mead, Sedona, and countless other natural wonders in desert and mountain locations. And best of all, many of them with my grandchildren.

Makes me want to do a Yosemite meetup.

Only a few, but I'll sayy
Walked on sharp rocks with no shoes over an ocean, in the rain.

Taken pictures of fake bums while in school. (hehe)

Gotten up early for numerous sunrises, or being late for school for taking sunrise shots.

Climbed through a teeny hole at the St.Augustine Lighthouse, only to get stuck. (Just like Kris Williams, if you ever watch Ghost Hunters..)

Went into a no-trespassing abandoned building right after being stopped by police...

And I'm still only 14!
Haha.

These are great.

I wouldn't have hung my ass out the side of an open helicopter flying around Boston at eye level with the top of the Prudential and waved to the people watching me do it. :)

Other than that, I mainly wouldn't be walking the streets late at night in Boston, Concord, Harvard, etc. taking pictures and getting the holy bejesus scared out of me by random people standing and watching me in the darkness. :lol:

all in all without photography i wouldn't have seen the world. and i don't just mean traveling and exploring. but really SEEING the world.

i would have never thought to look at life more closely. i would have never dared to look beyond the first glance or looked past the norm.

its all about thinking outside of the box and living life outside of the margins.

Some great responces so far!

I wouldn't have gone out last night in the dark and climbed a long way up a slippery mud bank with all my gear because I didn't have a good enough vantage point from the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back