coolpix p500

finley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently got a p500 for christmas and I am inlove with it! I went to a chain camera store today to find a bag that would hold it and an attachement tube that would let me use filters. However I found out the nikon doesnt make one but there are some different brands on ebay and such. Can anyone help me pick a good one or give me some insite into them? Thanks

Nice to hear that
????

Do you know what filters you want to use and why?
Most of us RARELY use filters at all. They are fun and they're something that everyone THINKS they need at first, but then they take up space in the bag.
The off brand adapters are all as good as the next. They are made to slip over the lens barrel and allow you to screw on attachments to it.
When it comes to choosing filters you'll probably end up needing a circular polarizer at some point. Possibly a Neutral Density filter too. I like to use a skylight filter when shooting scenery, landscapes and especially in the fall to accentuate the fall colors.

I also have a P500 and looked into those adapters. As MLeeK said, they all slip over the zoom lens barrel. That's the good part, the bad part is the it's real easy to forget that when you're either zooming back to the widest angles or turn the camera off, the adapter either slides off and hits the ground, or worse stays on, and you run the risk of damaging the zoom motor, calibration, or both. So if you go that route, you need to stay conscience of the adapter at all times. It can be a very expensive mistake.

The only filters I use are square, hand held graduated ND filters.

And while I really love my P500, it's being relegated to just telephoto work, as I've picked up a absolutely mint condition D70S, 18-70, lens, and am ordering a Tamron 90mm Macro lens. All that's left is the Tamron 10-24mm wide angle, and for us old guys who do florals and macro work, a Nikon DR-6 right angle viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back