Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a Used Coolscan 8000 ED,
but I have seen that the optical Density is only 4.2
I heard that minolta Scanners have 4.8 OD, is it making a real difference on 6x6?
would it be better to get a Scan multi pro?

thanks for your advice,

I use the Nikon Coolscan 8000ED regularly at my college library. Generally a sufficient film scanner should have at least 3.5 dynamic range.

4.2 (like on the 8000ED) will get pretty much everything out of your original film, even harder to scan slides. The format of your film is irrelevent in this case.

I sometimes have my 6x7cm film 8000ED scans printed by westcoastimaging.com and I've gotten EXCELLENT prints (usually 20x24in). Almost near drumscan quality, at least IMO.

One more thing...

Not sure how the prices compare between how much you spent on your 8000ED and the price of the Minolta but...

If you go to http://www.freestylephoto.biz they have something for the Coolscan 8000/9000 called "IMAGE MECHANISM FLUID MOUNT TRAY".

It's $499.99...if you think that would be a wise investment. From what I've read it improves sharpness of your scans, and requires Kami fluid application (same stuff they use to mount on drum scanners). Claims it'll make the Coolscan perform like other high-end CCD scanners, I assume like the Imacon etc.

The quoted dynamic range for film scanners is based solely on the theoretical limit of the ADC. It's a completely useless way of comparing scanners, and basically just misinformation. Unfortunately, there's no ISO standard for measuring the dynamic range of a scanner, though I've heard one is in the works.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back