Copy of pros work

newguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a picture taken of the family by a professional for free at work. I want the camera store to scan it for me and make it into a card.

Will they give me a hard time about copying the professionals work.

Only the pro has the right to "scan it and make it into a card". Anything else is considered theft.

skieur

Here's the deal, the dude spent 1000s of dollars/euros/pounds on equipment, busted his hump learing how to make people look good in a picture (good enough for you to want to copy), made himself available for you to preserve your look on film - So I think all of that (and more) is His Work, and don't you think he should be paid for his work? Don't you think you should say "Hey I like this pic will you please make me another one?"

I'm gonna have to agree with what everyone else has said.
If the lab is any good, they'll turn you down, and are right to!

You should go to the photographer and ask him for more prints, or perhaps he could have you a postcard set made.

Ditto everybody else.

You don't own the rights to the image.

I can respect everyones replies.

I just bought a tripod and will make my own shot.

That has more meaning anyway.

Troll or not, this thread really gave me a good laugh! :D

There was a thread about something almost around the same last week sometime. Some guy was trying to print out a POSTER! come on now.
lol.

This kind of idea goes right along with the idea of buying a guitar and recording your own album since you can legally copy a CD.

Sure, but I'd say it's easier to get a studio style picture than play a rock concert, if you're starting from scratch. Might cost a bit to get it right...but it can happen...

Plus you can take 1000 till it turns out...aahhah

if you have the file, or if you have the picture already. and are only getting it duplicated. no they shouldnt give you any trouble being theres no proof you didnt purchase it to begin with.

if you have the file, or if you have the picture already. and are only getting it duplicated. no they shouldnt give you any trouble being theres no proof you didnt purchase it to begin with.

So you think it's oK to steal someone's work just so long as no-one finds out about it. I hope I never have any business dealings with you.

Unless the photographer specifically gave permission for the image to be used or otherwise transferred copyright to it there is no legal or moral justification for getting copies made. Why not do the proper thing and ask the photographer for additional prints.

He may have purchased it. Purchasing a print is not purchasing rights to the print. By purchasing the print does he have a written release giving him rights to make dupes? The copyRIGHT is still held by the photographer unless he/she has RELEASED those rights in writing. This is a very simple concept. I fail to understand why it seems so difficult to understand.

This is no different from the software publisher telling you you have purchased the right to use there software, but you only bought a license. The software is still owned by the software publisher.

This is why the music industry is suing little old grandmothers because there 11 Y.O. granddaughter downloaded a song illegally to her computer. I think they may be a little heavy-handed at times, but it is still wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back