Copy rights help

Dmeyer07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry i don't know if this is the right place to ask this.

I had some pictures profesionaly taken by my friend who owns a studio. I would now like copies of these pictures but they have long since moved and i have no idea how to get ahold of them.

Everywhere i try to make a copy they tell me sorry its copyrighted. How do they know this? Is there a watermark or something, there is nothing on the back that says do not copy. I've even tried scanning them myself and sending them to walgrens online and stil no luck.

Thanks for the help

---Dave

just tell them you own the copyright

So like i've stated i've tried tracking him down but it has proved almost impossible. He is a friend... So assuming he gave permission (which he would) what does that mean? Does he write a letter or something, i mean this is just stupid that i can't make a copy of my own picture of me! I can see how it is his work and all but still i find it very annoying in situations like this...

To answer my question though, how did they know it was copyrighted? There was nothing whatsoever that i could see zoomed in prety far, i could see no copyright nothing..

Do they just assume it was copyrighted since it looked profesional and in a studio? I'll just tell them to screw off and that it isn't a profesional shot.

The guy would laugh at this, and give me permission with out question i want a copy for a family member....

Thanks
-Dave

Sorry i don't know if this is the right place to ask this.

I had some pictures profesionaly taken by my friend who owns a studio. I would now like copies of these pictures but they have long since moved and i have no idea how to get ahold of them.

Everywhere i try to make a copy they tell me sorry its copyrighted. How do they know this? Is there a watermark or something, there is nothing on the back that says do not copy. I've even tried scanning them myself and sending them to walgrens online and stil no luck.

Thanks for the help

---Dave
This isn't the right place to ask this, it should be moved to beginners questions.

Also, it's pretty simple how they know it's copyrighted material. It must be obviously professional work, and you are standing at the counter of a box-store photo lab, asking them to copy a print.

Professionals who make copies of photographs make them, themselves, in the studio from the original negatives/transparencies, or they send them to professional labs, who they have a relationship with (and usually an account) along with specific and detailed instructions.

When a professional photographer is in Walmart, he needs a pint of orange juice and some aspirin.

Your friend would need to release "copy rights" to you for your private use. Most pros have a form letter for this purpose. Did your friend just pick up and move his studio? That would be an expensive endeavor.

So like i've stated i've tried tracking him down but it has proved almost impossible. He is a friend... So assuming he gave permission (which he would) what does that mean? Does he write a letter or something, i mean this is just stupid that i can't make a copy of my own picture of me! I can see how it is his work and all but still i find it very annoying in situations like this...

To answer my question though, how did they know it was copyrighted? There was nothing whatsoever that i could see zoomed in prety far, i could see no copyright nothing..

Do they just assume it was copyrighted since it looked profesional and in a studio? I'll just tell them to screw off and that it isn't a profesional shot.

The guy would laugh at this, and give me permission with out question i want a copy for a family member....

Thanks
-Dave

To answer your question

In accordance with the Berne Convention copright is in effect imeadiately upon it's creation upon a fixed media.

So unless you have the original media (ie Film or what ever Digital equivalent) you are SOL untill you obtain the release.

Most reactions

Back