Copyright phrases

Ibr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!

A friend has requested a photo of mine. He asked for my permission to print it and put it in his office; I would like to send him the photo, however, what should I add (if any) after the Copyright phrase -that I intend to embed at the bottom of the photo? I was thinking of mentioning his name, but what would be the usual "practice" in this case (eg. c my name for his name)?

Thank you.

P.S. I hope I am posting this on the right forum, otherwise, I apologize and would appreciate any advice.

Why not simply have him pay for a print that you make and sign?

skieur

Your profile doesn't show what country you are in.

In the US, the US Copyright Offices Circular #3 http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf shows that a copyright statement is:

© 2011 Name of Copyright Owner (you). The clients name would not be shown on the photo.

The date is actually supposed to be the year of first publication or the year the image was made, not the year the print was made. So if your photo was first published in 2010 the copyright statement would read:© 2010 Your Name Here.

The photo-hosting website i use, displays the following statement on user pages:
© All Rights Reserved [photographer's name]

The photo-hosting website i use, displays the following statement on user pages:
© All Rights Reserved [photographer's name]
All Right Reserved has little meaning here in the US, but it does in most of the rest of the world.

Your profile also doesn't indicate your location.

You might want to peruse Circular #38: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf and investigate 'Moral rights'.

OK. Do you think it's really necessary to put a copyright statement on the print in this situation?

I mean on the picture. I'd find that aesthetically unappealing. Wouldn't you?

You don't need to put any statement on it if it's a print for a friend. You could even be nice and not mar it with any sort of signature or anything. Unless you're just trying to appear "professional".

Most reactions

Back