Copyright rules on iconic structures / buidlings?

gatorcruz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a great excuse for a cross country excursion. I plan to travel to famous Colleges and Universities (cities to, but my focus will be Universities) and take photographs of iconic buildings / structures / towers / stadiums etc. within the individual Universities. Of course, many, if not all, of these photos will have to be taken within University poperty (public and private universities). Not sure if that is a factor, but i just wanted to throw that in.

I plan to sell these images to the consumer as art / photographs.

How does the architecture copyright protection on structures built after December 1, 1990 play part in this? How does any copyright law play a role? If an iconic structure is old enough (like a tower, church or vista that is representative of that school) then what do i have to look out for?

Any clarity and elaboration on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

well in the US so far the architecture copyright only appies to other architecture uses, you may want to go to loc.gov and read over copyright info

The copyright only applies to the images taken. They can copyright the designs for the architecture but not the building it self, meaning the copyright to any photo you may take of said buildings is yours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back