Copyright??

maytay20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mwphoto.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been told it scares people away when you put a copyright on photos. Now I usually only do this for the photos that are on my web site for mine and clients protection the way I see it. And even more of a reason I have a former friend that is trying to claim I stole her photos, now all were taken with my camera not hers and either out in public or at my house. I don't think she would go as far as taking me to court over them but I also don't want her right clicking them and printing them without paying me. I mean I did probably 30 to 40 shoot for her in the last 2yrs because she was supposed to be my best friend and she was poor so I thought I was doing her a favor. Well long story kinda short she hates me now :x (nothing to do with pictures). So if I copy right all of my photos on my web site do you think it will scare future clients away?? Of course I do not put it on clients photos when they purchase them through me. Thanks, Mary

I think you're confusing watermarking with copyrighting... Watermarking isn't at all unusual. And a photograph, in the US, automatically has some copyright protections at the moment it's created.

If you are going to watermark, I'd suggest looking around and getting an idea of what other people do. For example, a nice logo layout is more attractive than a big © - and accomplishes much the same thing.

In the future, never, ever, shoot a session without a contract. :eek:)

I think you're confusing watermarking with copyrighting... Watermarking isn't at all unusual. And a photograph, in the US, automatically has some copyright protections at the moment it's created.

If you are going to watermark, I'd suggest looking around and getting an idea of what other people do. For example, a nice logo layout is more attractive than a big © - and accomplishes much the same thing.

In the future, never, ever, shoot a session without a contract. :eek:)
Sorry I did mean watermarking. I was doing what I saw most other photographers doing, but my step dad who was a pro at one time told me I should not do that it will scare customers away. The thing is it has been so long since he has done any pro work that he does not have any of his work online. I was just wondering do you think he is right or is he just behind on the times???

Having looked at your site, I wouldn't worry about it. Your photos are only around 450 pixels on the longest side... at that size, someone couldn't even get a decent 4x6.

So, I'd post them however you want, watermarked or not, and let it go. Worst case, you lose a few bucks from the crazy friend. But, she's not going to be printing anything decent from the small files.

As for watermarks, I'm indifferent. Done well, I don't think they bother people. But, they also aren't all that much of a deterrent. I'd go with what makes you happy. Then, charge enough for your sessions and prints that you can get taken advantage of once in a while without it hurting too much. :eek:)

I'm just nit sure I understand why a copywright will scare a client away.

I'm with JIP, why would a watermark scare a client away? If they see it used consistently on all of your web photos I'd think they would think it was more professional.
In any case, I watermark the ones I post on my blog so that if someone snags it at least they have to do a bunch of editing to get rid of it or they post it somewhere with my name still on it and then it's still advertising for me.

Most reactions

Back