Copyrights for a private shoot.

merianne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm new to this Forum. I'd like to ask if anyone knows the protocol for copyrights of an image of an individual. For example, a local singer has asked me to do a photo shoot for him. Mainly or his portfolio but some of the images will be used by his entertainment company for publicity and advertising purposes. Since it's his own image do I still have copyrights n if I o how much and how should I charge? Really appreciate any advice.

Unless you have a contract that says you are doing work for hire, the copyright belongs to you.
You can sell/give them a usage license.

US copyright statutes don't apply in Singapore.

You need to check with a qualified local attorney.

Here in the US you would own the copyrights and would sell the singer/entertainment company use licenseing (a copyright rental agreement) defining which image(s) could be used, in what media types, at what size, for how long, over which geographical areas, for x amount of dollars above and beyond what you charge for your time and expenses for making the images (called a creative fee).

In Canada, if you are hired to shoot for someone they own the rights to the photo. If you shoot it without being paid for it you own the rights. The last I read on copyright laws it was up before parliament, which means it will never be changed. This only applies to photographers, illustrators and artists always own the copyright to their work.

IIRC in Canada the buyer and the photographer can agree in writing that the photographer owns the copyright?

Yes, but without a written contract the photographer loses the rights the photos once he has been hired and paid to shoot. From what I understand in the US the photographer still retains the rights unless a contract saying different is signed.

Yes, but without a written contract the photographer loses the rights the photos once he has been hired and paid to shoot. From what I understand in the US the photographer still retains the rights unless a contract saying different is signed.
It's not quite as black and white as that.

It's all about the contract and/or model release. If you hire a wedding photographer, the owner of the pics are the people that hired the photog although the photog keeps negs and can supply more pics to the party that hired him (that's his bread n butter) he also has the right to use the pics to promote his business, he does not have the right to sell the images for publication or to others unless he gets the written consent of the original contractees.

Wording is everything so check your model release n contract forms carerfully to stipulate your intensions, both parties have to agree in writing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back