copyrights

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im reading over the book Photographer's Market *thanks Metroshane* .. i came across a section that mentioned selling the copyrights to your photos as oppose to selling publisher's/user's rights.... as i mentioned in previous posts, my photographs are like my babies :oops: .. the thought of selling the copyrights to my photos where i could never use it again sounds a little scary to me ... its like being gone forever. ... i remember accidently deleting photos of mine and i cried like a baby .. :( ... u can never re-capture that moment..

would u sell/relinquish the copyrights to your photos? .. where u can never use or display them again?

People do sell copyright's...and the PM does talk about it. But when you get further into the book, you'll see where it says that the price for copyrights should be astronomical.

You know, it's not always a bad deal. Sure if I get pics of Ben and J Lo's wedding I'm not going to sell the copyright, but if I'm just taking a picture of a boat I might. I might sell it for $75,000. Get the point? If you do consider selling it, you should consider the selling price to be equal to what you think you could make on that photo in a lifetime. Once you get a large library of photos you'll know what type make you money and which don't.

:shock: Never ever sell a copyright - unless they offer you Major cash - like enough to retire. If you sell the copyright - you no longer have any control much less ownership of your work. You'll get paid but no one will ever know you took the picture - no byline. You'll be better off negotiating one time rights for a period of time.

Most reactions

Back