Copyrights

Companies are making it a routine tactic to hire inexperienced photographers and saving themselves thousands of dollars.

You most likely still own the copyright since a 'work for hire' situation can only occur with a written contract.

Visit www.copyright.gov and read up on US copyright law.

Not the case in Canada, where barring a contract to the contrary by the photographer, a portrait comes under the 'work for hire' situation.

skieur
Very true. I noted the OP was located in the US (FL).

What's the staus on the Canadian governments copyrights, re-write?

Is there a web site that is keeping track of developments?

You most likely still own the copyright since a 'work for hire' situation can only occur with a written contract.

I do not know if that is a point of law or not, BUT the IRS has clear rules which determine whether a person is an employee. I believe there are seven points that all must be met to be considered an independent contractor. My best thought is that if the IRS considers you a contractor then most courts would as well. and IF the IRS thinks you were an employee you will have a hard time claiming copyright on those images.

Good luck,
Jerry

I do not know if that is a point of law or not, BUT the IRS has clear rules which determine whether a person is an employee. I believe there are seven points that all must be met to be considered an independent contractor. My best thought is that if the IRS considers you a contractor then most courts would as well. and IF the IRS thinks you were an employee you will have a hard time claiming copyright on those images.

Good luck,
Jerry
Copyright law and tax law aren't the same thing.

The IRS rules you refer to don't apply to a 'work for hire' copyright issue.

Unless the OP registers the copyrights with the Feds his attorney wouldn't be allowed to submit an infringement action the in federal court anyway.

Most reactions

Back