Copywrite question

robinkay6573

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked this on another message board. I asked her if it would be okay if I posted it here. I figured this would be the place to ask a question like this:

Shortly before my father passed away, he had his portrait taken professionally. Our church was doing church photos, and we had a family one done, then there was one of just the kids, and then he had one done of only him, as they were going to put photos of the deacons in the bullentin. While we have lots of pictures of him (casual snapshots, his old school and college photos, Navy photo, etc.) this is the only professional one of JUST him as an adult, father, husband, etc. We didn't order that many copies at the time, and when he died, my mother ordered a few more and distributed most of them among my siblings and the family, and we hung one in his old office downtown.

A while back, my family made memorials in his name to the local Ducks Unlimited chapter and to our local Senior Center, and now they both want pictures of him to hang.

How can I get copies made of a professional portrait? None of us want to give up our copies, but I know that places like Target and Wal-Mart won't duplicate a professional photograph. I don't want to break any copyright laws, and I'd happily pay whatever to whomever to get copies made - if only I knew whom to ask. I have no idea what photographer or company took the pictures, and I doubt they would still have the negatives (this has been 20 years ago).

Any ideas?
thanx.gif

Can you (your friend) ask around, perhaps at the church, to see if anyone knows the photographer? You never know, they may still have the negatives...or you may be able to ask them if it's OK to make copies from the prints that you have. I don't think that anyone would have a problem allowing you to use the images in this circumstance.

Failing that, I would go ahead an make copies from the print that you have. Yes, it would probably be a breech of copyright...but if a genuine effort has been made to contact the holder of the copyright...I don't think that anyone would think any worse of you.

You could even plead your case at a photo lab or two, they may feel compassionate and make the copies for you.

Last option would be to find someone with a scanner or buy one yourself (they are not expensive)...and make your own copies. Again, this would technically be against the copyright but if you can't find the photographer and a long time has passed, I think that it is ethically a sound decision.

I honestly doubt that whomever did the original photography would mind as it was done for a church. Take the portrait to someone who retouches photos for a clean and shine and have them do a high quality scan for duplication.

I used to work for Walgreen on the photo lab. When this kind of problem happens, they will do an exemption allowing you to make one copy. Now this depends on which Walgreen you will go and how that manager will feel for that day.

But we use to do it a lot of time, they jut make you sign a release form and explaining Why?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back