Corn Today

Nice idea. I never knew corn grew this fast!

| Lat: 42 Long: -93 | Elev: 1014 ft. | Pop: 170

Just out of curiosity do you follow these points to go back to the same spot? How did you get these info?:thumbup:

Nice idea. I never knew corn grew this fast!

| Lat: 42 Long: -93 | Elev: 1014 ft. | Pop: 170

Just out of curiosity do you follow these points to go back to the same spot? How did you get these info?:thumbup:
I walk by the same spot every day. The field is near my home and I always stand in front of the same tree for each shot. The Lat:/Long: are approximate because they are rounded.

The corn will top out height wise, long before the harvest. The ears of corn grow much slower than the main stalk and leaves of the plant.

If you lived in say Bristow, Oklahoma, and wanted to know the lat/long and elevation just do a Google search for 'latitude/longitude of Bristow, OK':

Last edited:
I wish you could get one of the old Hee-Haw girls to stand in front of the corn, so we could judge the height of the corn by comparison....you know, by comparing the corn height agaionst the known reference of a red and white a checkered shirt tied at the belly, and the faded blue denim color of a pair of Daisy Dukes and all...

Br549...

Great idea Derrel! :thumbup::D

There's got to be some farm girls around here that would fit the bill, and it's Summer Time too. Perfect!

But, I fear I'm going to be limited to using an 8' light stand instead. :confused:

Great idea Derrel! :thumbup::D

There's got to be some farm girls around here that would fit the bill, and it's Summer Time too. Perfect!

But, I fear I'm going to be limited to using an 8' light stand instead. :confused:

Yeah,well, there's no light stand that can compare to a lovely midwestern farm girl for cuteness...we need you to see this project through...we'll all collect dimes and nickes and send 'em to you if you can just get a farm lass in front of the camera!!! See what you can do, okay???

It's day 17 and the corn is already camera lens high, handheld, standing up. I'm 5' 10" so.....

I was late by about 30 minutes today to go make the shot.

cool pics, up here in South Dakota farmers didn't get to plant when they should. Flooding, but my neighbor dropped a bag of corn on the ground and I let the girls pick some up and we planed about 40 plants in the back yard. So when harvest comes around, we can use them as props for halloween and thanksgiving. So corn should be knee high by 4th july, and its not quite there yet.

It's been 26 days (See 1st post for today's image). I now need to shoot 2 hours earlier to maintain shutter speed without upping ISO.

In today's image, you can just see the top of the tree camera left in all the shots. The corn now has tassels.

Again, where I stand is a couple of feet higher than the bottom of the corn stalks, so the tallest corn is about 8 ft tall. The ears of corn have started to form and we can see some of the corn silk:

TigerLilysCorn7-12-10_0078.jpg

Wow, it still looks so green and fresh, here all the corn as rolled up its leaves to fight the drought and heat. It wouldn't be fun to do the same experiment where I am any more, our corn looks really poor these days.

Wow, it still looks so green and fresh, here all the corn as rolled up its leaves to fight the drought and heat. It wouldn't be fun to do the same experiment where I am any more, our corn looks really poor these days.
We've been getting rain regularly. We had gotten quite a bit the day before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back